Select to view content in your preferred language

What if you dont have a subnetwork in telco Utility Network and you still want to run Upstream and Downstream traces

Jump to solution
08-21-2023 02:35 PM
DeepikaJain01
New Contributor III

Dear Community

As of now, we dont have a subnetwork data since we are pretty new in implementing UN Model on our Telco data. Is it a viable solution if I convert all my Indoor cables to SubNetwork so that I am able to perform Upstream and Downstream Traces to see how my indoor data is connected to the entire network?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If there isn't a source/sink to compare to, I'm not sure how the trace would be able to establish the directionality to say that something is upstream or downstream. However, what you can always do is take the condition barriers from your downstream trace and perform a connected trace. This will allow your trace to respect the same traversability conditions as your subnetwork trace without relying on a source. If you're going to be doing this often, consider making this a named trace configuration.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

What you're looking for is to identify the equipment that will act as subnetwork controllers, this is typically done by identifying a particular port on a device as being the head-end of a circuit (As opposed to a cable). If you haven't already, download the Communications Utility Network Foundation to see examples of how they've created the subnetwork controllers in their sample dataset.

0 Kudos
omar-marji
New Contributor III

This is actually one of the things I would like to see in the utility network (the ability to do downstream/upstream traces without a subnetwork controller). 

There are a number of situations where this is relevant, e.g. checking the passive network connectivity before adding any active network elements (which would technically be considered as controllers in the UN). Technically this can be done with a connected trace, but things will get messy trying to do a connected trace with splitters in your network.

Not sure if this is something that will be eventually be implemented or not though.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If there isn't a source/sink to compare to, I'm not sure how the trace would be able to establish the directionality to say that something is upstream or downstream. However, what you can always do is take the condition barriers from your downstream trace and perform a connected trace. This will allow your trace to respect the same traversability conditions as your subnetwork trace without relying on a source. If you're going to be doing this often, consider making this a named trace configuration.