Utility Network Tracing from Geocortex and ArcFM Web

Jump to solution
01-07-2021 07:38 PM
ManueleMesseri
New Contributor III

Hey guys,  we soon would need to publish our UN Network to our geocortex viewers, and one question comes to my mind.

How do I trace?

We have ArcFM Web and Geocortex, currently, we're using the old geometric network published with ArcFM enabled for tracing, but soon we'll stop the sync between UN and GN therefore I'd need to replace the tracing functionality from the old environment and use the UN fully.

ManueleMesseri_0-1610076965127.png

(screenshot is taken from 10.8.1, ArcFM Web 4.11)

Anyone has got a clue on how I would trace using the upstream/downstream buttons?

ManueleMesseri_1-1610077084727.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VickyWang
Esri Contributor

Hi @ManueleMesseri

Not sure about the Upstream/Downstream button via ArcFM Web 4.11. You could create workflows for the trace function using the Utility Network ArcGIS REST API. Pass the trace parameters: trace location, barriers etc; then get back the trace result. 

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/trace-utility-network-server-.htm

~Vicky Wang~

View solution in original post

10 Replies
VishApte
Esri Contributor

There is github code at https://github.com/Esri/solutions-widget-utility-network-trace for developing a UN trace widget in WAB. And I believe Esri is working on a UN Trace Widget in Experience Builder. 

ManueleMesseri
New Contributor III

Thanks but not really what I was hoping for. We don't use maps via WAB as we have tons of functionality via geocortex 😞

VickyWang
Esri Contributor

Hi @ManueleMesseri

Not sure about the Upstream/Downstream button via ArcFM Web 4.11. You could create workflows for the trace function using the Utility Network ArcGIS REST API. Pass the trace parameters: trace location, barriers etc; then get back the trace result. 

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/trace-utility-network-server-.htm

~Vicky Wang~
ManueleMesseri
New Contributor III

Why didn't I think of that!
That's a great suggestion, I was over complicating trying to run the python trace... where using directly the API should be lot easier

I'll give it a try and report back for the others

JamesWright9
New Contributor III

Hey Manuele,

Schneider will be adding support for out of the box UN tracing in ArcFM Web in a future release, currently the out of the box tools only supports the GN. You can however use a workflow to perform this operation in the current release; however, that might be a little more work than your bargaining for.

When are you targeting go live for the UN?

0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor

@JamesWright9 I am assuming you work for either Schneider or Latitude 🙂

I am working with a large Utility migrating them from GN to UN. This client currently has Geocortex Web. The target go live for UN is Q1 2022. Will ArcFM Web be UN ready by then? 

JamesWright9
New Contributor III

The plan is to release UN tracing activities Out of the Box, like we have with the GN, once ESRI more formally supports the UN via their Javascript API. The target is for Q3 or Q4 of this year.

In the mean time, in Q2 we will be updating ArcFM Web to support the latest and greatest of Geocortex Web 5.x as well.

Hopefully this helps with your decision making!

ManueleMesseri
New Contributor III

We are running parallel now with GN and UN, waiting for the tracing to switch over and abandon the GN.

I'd love to use the out of the box ArcFM tracing, if were released 🙂

0 Kudos
ManueleMesseri
New Contributor III

Hey everyone,

I got it to work on POC. 

I didn't find the JSON documentation very helpful, also the API seems to be very picky, doesn't want to accept spaces and tabs and working on a single line json (not indented) is challenging

but in the end, I got it to work, just need to call it from the WF5 in geocortex and use the response to select all assets 🙂