Update Subnetwork Water Utility Network

Jump to solution
03-10-2021 03:53 PM
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

I have a waterline utility network setup in a fileGDB.  I have managed to get one subnetwork to have no dirty areas or network errors.  I set up my subnetwork controller and ran "Update Subnetwork" on the single subnetwork of the water system.  It has been running for over 5 hours. This subnetwork is relatively tiny (8,000 line segments out of over 800,000 segments).  This subnetwork is completely disconnected from the rest of the system.  I'm not sure if this is expected behavior has anybody tried to Update a subnetwork successfully?  

I don't currently have access to an enterprise gdb (waiting for IT dept. to get that setup) would I expect better results there?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JimmyBowden , the Subnetwork may be struggling to update If the standalone feature is not associated with the network.

If there are any edits are done, this needs to be saved and validated, so that the area is clean, then run the update subnetwork and what error did you receive if you got one?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've updated subnetworks with more features  and it never took anywhere 5 hours.  It is a relatively quick process.  It should also be faster against a file gdb.   

What version of Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

Hi Jimmy,

One of the pre-requisites to run the Update Subnetwork tool is that the subnetwork to update must be marked as dirty in the subnetworks table.

Was the subnetwork that you want to update marked as dirty before you run the tool?

DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

Also, 2 other things to consider before running the tool:

• The network topology must be enabled.
  • Any edits must be saved.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/update-a-subnetwork.htm

JimmyBowden

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm running on Pro 2.7.1.  The subnetwork is marked IsDirty = True.  Topology is enabled.  There are no unsaved edits.   

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The update subnetwork tool will not run if the network is clean. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JimmyBowden , the Subnetwork may be struggling to update If the standalone feature is not associated with the network.

If there are any edits are done, this needs to be saved and validated, so that the area is clean, then run the update subnetwork and what error did you receive if you got one?

JimmyBowden

It provided no errors, the status bar just indicated "Running".  I killed that process.  Reopened the project, zoomed to the area of interest, and ran Validate Network Topology it found something to validate.  I saved it.  Then ran Validate Subnetwork, it completed in < 3minutes.  I guess the lesson here is to make sure there are no dirty areas and to not believe the the geoprocessing tool when it just says "Running".

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @JimmyBowden ,

That is true most of the tools are run on the server, and depending on the config they could time out or keep going. It is important to complete the process in a particular order.

• Create Edits,
  • Save,
  • Validate ( this can take time depending on the complexity and number of edits)  this process will clear out the dirty areas related to the edits. 
  • Updated Subnetwork, ( this will remove the dirty areas in the Subnetwork)
  • Optional Run a trace, ( this checked if all components are correctly associated). 
  • Reconcile your version then
  • Post to default. 

Notes:

I suggest having the dirty areas layer switched on so that you can see where there is a dirty area that can be validated.

Remember that some of these tools such as the validate tool run on the server and can't always be seen by the user, the system may queue your requests, and that might have been what happened in your first scenario. 

Good luck