Switches on the Electric Utility Network

Jump to solution
06-08-2021 02:24 PM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

Do they have Pad Mounted Switch as an Asset Type in the Electric Network for a device for Medium Voltage.  On the Assembly I'm seeing Overhead Load Break Switch, Overhead Disconnect Switch, Pad Mounted Switch, and Underground Switch.  On the Devices I'm seeing Overhead Single and Three Phase Disconnect, Overhead Three and Single Phase Load Break, Underground Single and Three Phase Disconnect, Underground Single and Three Phase Load Break, but NO Pad Mounted Switch.  They only have Pad Mounted Recloser and Sectionalizer.  Why would they have it as an Assembly Option but not a device option?  Or am I missing something?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilDunn
New Contributor II

Lindsey, I believe the underground switches were intended to be pad-mounted.  We renamed them in our model to clarify that.  Remember that the Esri model is a template that you can modify as needed.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PhilDunn
New Contributor II

Lindsey, I believe the underground switches were intended to be pad-mounted.  We renamed them in our model to clarify that.  Remember that the Esri model is a template that you can modify as needed.  

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Linsdsey

A Pad Mounted Switch (AKA Pad Mounted Switchgear) is a very complex piece of equipment that typically has multiple cables entering and exiting and consists of multiple switches and fuses and busbar.  The correct paths for energy cannot be defined by a single points.  There are multiple types of switches that can be found in this equipment that have very different characteristics.  The simplest is the Cabinet Switch, to the most complex V and T Blades.  Each of these has different terminal configurations and path characterizes in the Utility Network Electric Model.

Here is an example of the internals of a Pad Mounted switch.  This would have 4 sets of cables entering the cabinet. Two sets of switches and two sets of fuses.  The smaller picture is from a customer’s map in the Geometric Network.  The blackbox is the Pad Mounted Switch and it contains four switches, four sets of lines and four busbars.

JohnAlsup_0-1623249732651.jpeg

JohnAlsup_1-1623249732654.jpeg

As Phil points out, this is a starting point and the rename table provides an easy way to change names of things, as long as the function of that thing does not change.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos