Subnetworks not showing as dirty following edits

Jump to solution
12-06-2019 03:54 AM
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

We're testing v3.2 of the Water Distribution model UN and have got to the stage where we've migrated some data and successfully set up subnetworks for DMAs.  We're having a problem with not being able to run the Update Subnetwork tool following what we would think would be a fairly normal edit to the network e.g. adding in a new service connection.  According to this help file we would expect the subnetwork that the new feature is added into to have the IsDirty field be flagged as True.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/utility-network/dirty-subnetworks.htm

1. Subnetwork details before editing

Subnetwork details before editing

2. Added in a couple of new service connections

Added in service connections

3. Validated the network topology to clean dirty areas

4. Tried to run the Update Subnetwork tool for that specific subnetwork but it is not listed in the tool dialogue and the IsDirty attribute is still set to False

5. The only way we can seem to get the subnetwork to be recognised as dirty is to swap the terminal connections round on the pipes going into the subnetwork controller, validate topology, swap the terminals back round again to their correct settings and then validate topology again.

6. Run the update subnetwork tool and see updated details on the subnetwork e.g. increase in service connections and total length and last updated date.

Updated subnetwork details

So my question is whether we are doing something wrong or missing something in the rules/configuration that is leaving the subnetwork unaware of the changes? Or have we interpreted the guidance incorrectly and the type of edit that we are doing shouldn't trigger changes to the subnetwork (I really hope this isn't the case)?

We are working with the water foundation model pretty much as it is with one minor change to the rules to use a different asset type for the service connection count statistic on subnetworks, but I don't think it was working in a previous test version either where we hadn't made that rule change.  Feels like it's more of a fundamental issue/bug somewhere? Pro is version 2.4.2 and ArcGIS Enterprise is 10.7.1.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.

Gareth

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Gareth,

This issue was found internally(so there is no bug number to track it) a few weeks ago.  It will be resolved in 2.5/10.8 release.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Gareth,

This issue was found internally(so there is no bug number to track it) a few weeks ago.  It will be resolved in 2.5/10.8 release.  

GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Michael, will try it out in 2020!

0 Kudos
CaitlinTodd
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I was wondering if this bug has been found for the electric utility network as well? If so, will it also be fixed with the 2.5/10.8 release?

Thanks

Caitlin

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

This bug is generic (i.e. it is not specific to an industry such as water/electric).

0 Kudos
CaitlinTodd
New Contributor II

Oh okay, thank you for the quick reply

0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Is this issue fixed now?

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.5, UN Release 3 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1. And it is still happening for me.

I tried changing network attribute (device status, operable etc), changing life cycle status, split a pipe, move a junction etc. Nothing marks the subnetwork dirty. Only way is to use Modify Subnetwork Controller, remove and re-add it.

Thanks,

Vish

0 Kudos
MatthewBrown8
Esri Contributor

I am currently using ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 and am experiencing a similar issue mentioned by @VishApte.

For the most part, the "IsDirty" icon does not appear post edits. However, occasionally the icon will appear but not before some time has passed (usually after a few minutes, but this can vary and there is no certainty that it will appear at all).

Have there been any further developments regarding this issue? Is a bug number available?

Thank you,
Matt

Matthew
larryy
by
New Contributor II

Hi Vish and Matt,

The fix is a server side fix (assuming you are using an Enterprise utility network), so you will need to upgrade your ArcGIS Enterprise to 10.8 or preferably, 10.8.1.

Larry

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

For all people not able to upgrade your ArcGIS Enterprise to 10.8+, further analysis shows that this is linked to the cache settings of the UNM service. Standard cache settings on the UNM service are 'clear cache when the session ends'. A simple extra step to get your 'is dirty' to update, is to click on the refresh button at the bottom of your active map window. This manually resets the cache. As soon as you do this, your edited subnetwork should update and show the 'is dirty' icon in your find subnetworks pane.

@VishApte  this should be a suitable workaround for you at pro 2.5 and enterprise 10.7.1