Subnetwork Controllers in Electric

Jump to solution
09-30-2021 01:57 PM
LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

Can someone give me a good explanation of Distribution and Distribution Mesh for Tier for the subnetwork controllers in the electric system and when to use each.  I did a test area and set up my Medium Voltage Circuit Breakers as the Subnetwork Controller as Electric Distribution.  When I ran the update subnetwork tool I got this error message https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/tool-errors-and-warnings/001001-010000/tool-....  I added the circuit breakers in 2 of our substations for a test and out of the 12 circuit breakers, 6 of them are returning a topology error of Inconsistent subnetwork name on multiple subnetwork controllers in the same subnetwork discovered during update subnetwork. I'm thinking something isn't connecting right, but I'm not sure where to start so I didn't know if my tier should have been different.  It is weird that half of them are fine and half are not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindseyStone

With help from Mike,  I had a few of terminals incorrect.  On an Open Load Break Switch where two feeders meet it, you need to make sure one side of the switch is set to S1 and the other side is set to S2.  When I corrected it in all locations that the two feeders came together, the error was resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

When you defined the controllers for a mesh, they will all need the same subnetwork name.  A mesh system is feed by multiple sources and those sources need the same subnetwork name or you encounter the error you encounter.  If you run a Find Connected Trace and Condition Barrier using the Network Attribute Is Subnetwork Controller, what is selected.  An output folder of Is Subnetwork Controller can return just the controllers.  What are the names of the subnetworks these devices are controlling?

0 Kudos
LindseyStone

So I did some more testing and my OPEN Load Break Switches is the root of my error message.  Where we have two feeders/circuits coming together in our system we have OPEN Air Break Switches.  I have been putting these into the system as OPEN Three Phase Load Break Switches.  Where I have these I get the error Inconsistent subnetwork name on multiple subnetwork controllers in the same subnetwork discovered during update subnetwork. Where I don't have them I get no error message.  If I change the OPEN Three Phase Load Break Switch to an OPEN Three Phase Disconnect I don't receive an error.  I have SEVERAL locations in our network that does this.

At this point I just have the MV Conductor connected to the OPEN Load Break Switch connected to MV Conductor.  Either side of the Switch should be a different feeder/circuit.  Should I be drawing this in differently to make this work.  I'm force to set terminal connections on Load Breaks so I tried to set the terminal connections to S1 on both lines, S2 on both lines, and S1 on one line and S2 on the other line and it always gives me the error. 

I'm running the update subnetwork tool as Electric Distribution Radial.

0 Kudos
LindseyStone

So I didn't define the subnetwork as Mesh.  My question was more of when would I use a mesh network?

So I just did a distribution subnetwork based off circuit breakers in my substations that is labeled off my feeder lines.  I THINK where I'm getting the error message is from where I have an OPEN Three Phase Load Break Switch or an OPEN Overhead Cutout Fused Disconnect Fuse.  In our network to different feeders connect into this open switch or fuse.  Right now I just have the two lines connecting to this fuse or switch.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Can you post a screenshot of your condition barriers on the subnetwork definition?  We need to see why an open devices is not being honored.  You will need the lines on switch on different terminals, so the switch can barrier the subnetwork.  If the lines are on the same terminal, the switch will not break the load.

0 Kudos
LindseyStone

Here is my condition barriers.  I didn't modify this in anyway from the downloaded version.  As I said if they are an OPEN phase disconnect through a switch or fuse it seems to be working.  It is only if it is a OPEN Load Break Switch.

LindseyStone_0-1634563149850.png

This is how I have it drawn in, with two MV Overhead Conductors connected to the open switch.

LindseyStone_1-1634563330520.png

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

If you can share a sample of the issue, I can take a look.  The definition looks correct.

0 Kudos
LindseyStone

Please let me know how you would like me to share it or format and I can provide you with you need to review.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

email works for me - mmiller@esri.com

0 Kudos
LindseyStone

With help from Mike,  I had a few of terminals incorrect.  On an Open Load Break Switch where two feeders meet it, you need to make sure one side of the switch is set to S1 and the other side is set to S2.  When I corrected it in all locations that the two feeders came together, the error was resolved.

0 Kudos