Select to view content in your preferred language

Random appearances of "spatial index grid size is invalid" error?

Jump to solution
a week ago
EvelynHsu
Occasional Contributor

Was following the tutorial here  Use network diagrams for quality assuarance and while trying to apply edits on containment associations, this "Spatial index grid size is invalid" error popped up. 

I encountered this error at other times too, when I was working on edits/validating topology. Some of the posts in the community suggest that the entire UN dataset be copied into a new file geodatabase. It worked, but we can't be doing this frequently on a proudction database. 

Are there ways to go about preventing/solving this error without copying the entire dataset? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah, use the delete spatial index and add spatial index tools to drop/recreate the spatial index on the Dirty Area layer in your map. Sometimes when a lesson is packaged the spatial index on the dirty areas layer can get reset to be too large or too small.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

First, I would recommend that you create an issue with esri technical support.  If this is a bug, that will be the best way to address it.

Next, I would suggest looking at the spatial indexes of each class that participates in the utility network.  If you have existing diagrams, I would also look at their spatial indexes.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John. Just to clarify, what should I look out for when examining spatial indexes of UN feature classes? Let's say if the spatial index of one feature class is problematic. How would I be able to identify it?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@EvelynHsu just to confirm, you're having issues with the data posted with the tutorial? If so, which step specifically are you seeing the error on and what version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

That's right. Am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.

The exact step that got me into this error is Step 15 in the "Identify missing content in the substation" section, applying edits to 15 new containment associations added to the Electric Substation Boundary. All other steps before this worked fine, and after copying the dataset into a new fgdb the subsequent steps worked fine too.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you please post a screenshot of the error? Once I see the specific tool/message I can give you a more precise response.

0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
Occasional Contributor

As shown below

EvelynHsu_0-1723083667526.png

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah, use the delete spatial index and add spatial index tools to drop/recreate the spatial index on the Dirty Area layer in your map. Sometimes when a lesson is packaged the spatial index on the dirty areas layer can get reset to be too large or too small.

0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert. Removing/Adding spatial index to the Dirty Areas layer solved the issue.

0 Kudos