"Network topology must be enabled" after enabling Network topology on Utility Network

Jump to solution
07-08-2019 04:37 AM
KillianPaenen
New Contributor II

Hi all,

This issue started since upgrading ArcGIS Pro and untools to 2.4 and wasn't present in 2.3.
Staging and deploying a Utility Network works fine but it starts after running the Enable Network Topology tool (both Gas and Electric have the same issues since then). The tool itself succeeds but every other UN tool ran hereafter fails with the error:

ERROR 001793: Network topology must be enabled.

The network topology however, is enabled and trying to run Enable Network Topology again results in:

ERROR 001803: The network topology already exists.

Even the Utility Network's properties show that it is enabled:

This contradicting error proves to be quite the hassle, but there is more!
The Validate Topology and Trace tools fail with ERROR 001793 when ran from the Geoprocessing tab, but they succeed when ran from the ribbon. Since the ribbon doesn't contain all tools, we're still unable to run e.g. Update Subnetwork or Create Diagram.

I already tried restaging the UN and reapplying the asset package, resharing it to Portal, disabling and reenabling the network topology, but the error keeps returning. Even on Esri's sample data...

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Killian Paenen

23 Replies
HusseinNasser2
Esri Contributor

If you go back to 2.3.x you should be to work normally. The bug is in the 2.4 client. 

I don't have an exact date on 2.4.2 but will be sometime in August. 

0 Kudos
KevinKirkwood
New Contributor III

Hussein,

I rolled back pro to 2.3.3 and that resolved the problem with enabling the network topology. Now I'm running into another issue...

So I need to update the subnetwork definition to include asset types that I added. I disabled the topology and wen't to add the utility network layer to a new map from a database connection as the database owner and it doesn't recognize that the utility network layer exists in the database. It won't add it to any map and I also can't add it using the Update Subnetwork Definition Geoprocessing Tool.

Is this because the Utility Network was staged using Pro 2.4 and I now am using 2.3.3?

If this is the case is there any way around this issue? 

Without being able to update the subnetwork definition I can't update the subnetwork and this is another huge roadblock.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

Kevin,

If you created your UN with Pro 2.4 you cannot use a previous release of Pro to consume it.

0 Kudos
KevinKirkwood
New Contributor III

Paul,

I was working off the service that I created in 2.4 with pro 2.3.3 no problem until I needed to update the subnetwork definition. In order to update the subnetwork I need to disable the topology and update it from the database connection. 

I'm guessing that this means that I need to start the entire process over (Staging, Applying, etc) using Pro 2.3.3?

If that is the case do I need to use UN tools 2.3.3 as well to do all this? Not UN tools 2.4?

Am I at least able to extract the Asset Package from the service created from 2.4 and reapply it using 2.3.3?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

If you want to use Pro 2.3.x then you also need untools 2.3.x, yes.

I believe untools blocks the import/export from a newer version. I don't recall exactly what version that was added in, so it might work.

0 Kudos
KevinKirkwood
New Contributor III

Ok, thank you for your help and quick responses. 

0 Kudos
JoepLuijten
New Contributor

I was wondering if a specific release date for Pro 2.4.2 has been set yet.  Earlier Hussein mentioned it would be later on in August but no updates yet...

Thanks,

Joep

0 Kudos
HusseinNasser2
Esri Contributor

Hey Joep,

We are in the process of building and verifying 2.4.2, shooting for end this week or early next week. Will update the thread when its out.

Apologies for taking this long, the patch is large and has a lot of good performance fixes across the entire system not just utility network.

It is equivalent to a DLC in video game speak.

Thanks!

Hussein

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

Kevin,

untools is used for importing/exporting the asset package. It is not related to the issues you are seeing because untools does not enable/disable the topology.

0 Kudos
KevinKirkwood
New Contributor III

So that confuses me a little the problem comes from upgrading to Pro 2.4?

0 Kudos