Select to view content in your preferred language

Question about Edge Junction Rules in Utility Network

Jump to solution
a month ago
SusanONeill1
New Contributor III

I am working on converting a Sewer geometric network to a simplified version of the Utility network.  Manholes are devices in this simplified version.  In our sewer system, we have sewer cleanouts that connect via a lateral to a sewer tap (sewer junction) on the mainline.  But we also have sewer cleanouts that connect via a lateral directly to a manhole (usually when that manhole is the last one on the mainline).  I added junction-edge rules for cleanout to lateral, from tap to lateral, and from manhole to lateral.  However, any instance where the lateral attaches directly to the manhole is generating an error for the whole mainline segment.  The errors include both "10: Invalid connectivity - The edges are different subtypes and cannot connect." and "39: Point feature has invalid terminal configuration" for the manhole.  In the attached image, you can see that most manholes and laterals don't have errors, but those with laterals going directly to manholes have errors.  I would prefer not to have to configure terminals and make the model more complex, but I'm not sure how to resolve this problem.  I appreciate any help with this.  

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

A type 39 error means that you haven't populated the terminal configuration field on the manholes (or it is set to something invalid). Set the terminal configuration on those devices to be default and the error should go away.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you got that message, it means that all your dirty areas have been validated and you only have errors left so you're good to run the summarize errors tool.

The message can be a little confusing, it means that all dirty area features in the extent or database need to be validated. This is because their status is either error or subnetwork error, and none of them have a dirty status (See graphic below):

RobertKrisher_0-1718123595661.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

A type 39 error means that you haven't populated the terminal configuration field on the manholes (or it is set to something invalid). Set the terminal configuration on those devices to be default and the error should go away.

0 Kudos
SusanONeill1
New Contributor III

Thank you so much!  Somehow the Manholes had nothing in the Terminal Configuration field.  Once I changed it to Default, it got rid of those errors.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

That blank field is usually a sign of default values not being populated when the feature was converted. So anywhere else you see a 'type 39' error in your database you should double check the other fields like lifecycle status and normal position to ensure they have the correct value.

Also, if you're still working on a data conversion, make sure you update your data mappings/migration to handle this.

0 Kudos
SusanONeill1
New Contributor III

Thanks.  I am doing the conversion using FME, so I'm going back to correct the script.  

0 Kudos
SusanONeill1
New Contributor III

This should probably go in a separate question, but I thought I'd give it a try.  Now that I've eliminated all those errors, I still have an Attribute Table of Dirty Areas, but if I pan to the area of one of the records and click on it, no dirty area info is displayed and no dirty area polygon is shown.  I tried to see if the 'IsRetired' field of 1 and/or Status of 8 means anything, but I haven't found anything in the documentation yet.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're working through a lot of errors/dirty areas, I recommend you validate your entire topology and run the Summarize Utility Network errors tool (part of the data management support tools) to look at your errors.

You can find an overview of the data migration and cleanup process in video form here (including what I described above): Running a successful Utility Network Prototype 

Water Topology Error Tutorials here: Managing Connectivity with ArcGIS Utility Network

Water Article here:  Water Topology Errors 

0 Kudos
SusanONeill1
New Contributor III

If I validate the entire topology, I get a message that no errors were found.  But I still have data in the Dirty Areas attribute table - just no errors shown on the map.  Do those Dirty Areas remain in the table, but with some kind of "Deleted status"?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you got that message, it means that all your dirty areas have been validated and you only have errors left so you're good to run the summarize errors tool.

The message can be a little confusing, it means that all dirty area features in the extent or database need to be validated. This is because their status is either error or subnetwork error, and none of them have a dirty status (See graphic below):

RobertKrisher_0-1718123595661.png

0 Kudos