Multiple Utility Networks in one SDE

Jump to solution
04-29-2021 10:41 AM
GarimaVyas4
New Contributor II

We are going to create multiple utility networks. Are there recommendations around having multiple EUNDM schemas in the same ArcSDE instance (one schema per network) or will that cause conflicts and we need to create a separate ArcSDE with a single EUNDM schema in it? 

Other info:

• Underlying database is Postgres. 
  • I noticed this old bug but it seems to addressed now. 
  • We are also interested in recommendations and best practices.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Hey Garima! I even had to retest this to make sure as I typically load multiple UNs as a different database user if they are in the same geodatabase. 

It looks like you can create multiple UNs in the same geodatabase as the same user. We properly handle the naming of the geodatabase objects so they are unique and there are no name collisions.

I do not know if we have a best practice recommendation for organization in the geodatabase. Go with what you can best manage without getting your datasets confused. Depending on the configuration, the UN data model can get complex with relationship classes, tables, multiple domain networks, etc. This may be easier to maintain with a level of isolation for administrative and backup purposes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

One database can have one utility network with multiple domain networks within. Multiple utility networks on one database doesn't work, I'm assuming it's due to reserved naming conventions.

To date I've never found any material from ESRI on how to create multiple domain networks within one utility network, which is odd because they promote this so much in their marketing. With quite a bit of effort I've managed to get multiple domain networks in a single utility network up and running, some literature from ESRI would be nice.

I also have a couple of threads on this topic and they've never received a comment, so not much help available.

GarimaVyas4
New Contributor II

Thank you @SSMIC3038 I thought so too but i want to let someone from Esri chime in and confirm. 

0 Kudos
GarimaVyas4
New Contributor II

@MelissaJarman - you're the pro here. 🙂

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Hey Garima! I even had to retest this to make sure as I typically load multiple UNs as a different database user if they are in the same geodatabase. 

It looks like you can create multiple UNs in the same geodatabase as the same user. We properly handle the naming of the geodatabase objects so they are unique and there are no name collisions.

I do not know if we have a best practice recommendation for organization in the geodatabase. Go with what you can best manage without getting your datasets confused. Depending on the configuration, the UN data model can get complex with relationship classes, tables, multiple domain networks, etc. This may be easier to maintain with a level of isolation for administrative and backup purposes.

GarimaVyas4
New Contributor II

Thanks, Melissa! Appreciate the extra step of testing with the confirmation. 

0 Kudos