Maintaining Network connectivity when moving a point in a Utility Network.

02-09-2021 11:30 AM
JustinBernard1886
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have an issue regarding movement features in a stormwater utility network. I would like to make adjustments to the manhole and pipe features in the network, when I select a manhole, only the manhole moves. The pipes do not move along with the manhole. Another issue is when the manhole is moved, I am unable to snap it back onto the pipes, i checked my snap settings and everything looks fine.
Is this an issue unique to the Utility Network? I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.6

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

- topology enabled?

- are there valid network rules for the features you are trying to connect?

0 Kudos
JustinBernard1886
New Contributor III

The Topology is enabled.

So initially I thought the connectivity rules were in place for the Structure Junction class, I checked and there are no connectivity rules for Structure Junction. I think this is the problem. I am going to ask the analyst to add the rules and see what happens. 

Thanks so much! 

Justin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So the reason the pipes aren't moving with the manhole is due to the fact it is in the Structure Network, not the Water.  It is not actually "connected" to the network.  The pipe connection asset group in the Water Device Feature Class is what is used to connect two pipe segments together. 

It kind of goes against the normal way of connecting pipes together in a network.  The manhole is representative of the asset.  The pipe connection is the conduit to actually connect the two pieces of linework together.  So yeah you now have to manage two points instead of one 🙂   I know, it is super counter intuitive right?

There are some benefits in that you can add the pipe connections as containers and offset them in the vault.  You would then use an association to to logically connect them.  In reality this models your network more accurately.  Instead of those two extra feet of pipe that don't actually exist you have an association.  

JustinBernard1886
New Contributor III

Hi Randall, 

It appears my network is missing some connectivity rules for Structure Junction. I am going to add them, and see if that fixes the issue,

Thanks so much for your response!

Justin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Justin,

I don't believe the UN will allow a connectivity rule between a feature in the Structure tier and one in the Water Tier.  

Also, if  you were to add it, you would then need to set the subnetwork definition  and allow the structure to participate in traces/analysis of the subnetwork.  Because it is in the structure tier you cannot do this either.

AlexKabak
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

Randall is correct. Structure network features (Manhole) cannot connect to Stormwater Network features (Pipes). The pipes need to be connected by Pipe Connections, which have existing rules in place. The Pipe Connections, whether it's one or multiple, should then be contained by association in the manhole (there are existing rules to allow this as well). Since the Pipes will be connected to the Pipe Connection(s) and the Pipe Connection(s) will be contained in the Manhole, the Pipes will move with the Manhole when it is moved.

JustinBernard1886
New Contributor III

Much appreciated for this guys. I am still going to add the connectivity rules, but I'll definitely look into the pipe connections. Can you point me to some documentation? 

Just some history on our model. Our data is legacy CAD data with the attributes coming from an Oracle table. It's a simple model, where pipes are connected to nodes(CB, MH, Fittings, etc). We migrated our data to ESRI last year, and decided to add the utility network to it. We got advice from ESRI on how to model our data so it can work in a UN effectively, and I do not recall being told about pipe connections for manholes.
We want to keep the model as simple as possible for our needs, but would like to trace through the network. We were only able to partially trace, and if pipe connections will help trace throughout the network, we'll have to add them in. 

Thanks again! 

Justin

0 Kudos
AlexKabak
Esri Contributor

Hi Justin,

Below is a workflow to map Pipes and Manholes. The workflow is using preset edit templates, using Manholes and Pipe Connections, that are included in the Stormwater Utility Network Editor project, but can also be applied when manually adding Manholes and Pipe Connections. 

Editing workflow for mapping pipes and manholes https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/5f1a48c2552c4dd998f3967bca70f28d

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are two ways to connect in the UM - topological and associations. 

you can have a look at the containers( for many small features)  or  use  the associations 

there are three types of association in the modified association pane 

• Structure association
  • connective association
  • Attachment associations

You can find this in the Modify tool under the Utility Network Data tab