How to extend the published Utility Network model?

Jump to solution
02-02-2021 01:55 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

In my organization we need to expand the model (add a new subtype and assign new domains to it) of Utility network that is already published and in use.

What is proper way to do this? I haven't found the documentation on this. Is the proper way to apply updated asset package again on a same UN? Do I have to register new columns as versioned again? If yes, does that mean I have to remove connection between ArcGIS server and our sde, because I can not unregister it while it is published on ArcGIS server? 

If anyone has a clue of what is proper way to do it, or have the article about it, please share it with us.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

Since your UN is already versioned, enabled, and published, there is no need to apply the asset package again.

Stop your service, disable topology, and add your subtypes (configuring as need). Then enable and restart your service.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

Since your UN is already versioned, enabled, and published, there is no need to apply the asset package again.

Stop your service, disable topology, and add your subtypes (configuring as need). Then enable and restart your service.

VishApte
Esri Contributor

Though there are UN admin tools and standard GDB tools to perform all required configurations such as adding a new subtype, domain for asset types, topology rules, terminals, network attributes etc, I find Asset Package is still the better way to apply the model changes. The process I follow is

1. Export existing UN model as Asset Package including data.

2. Make changes to the FGDB feature class definitions as necessary

3. Add/update/remove to appropriate B_* tables.

4.  Optionally, make any changes to the data or C_* tables if required.

5. Re-apply asset package in full replacing entire geodatabase.

6.  Version dataset

7. Enable topology.

8. Republish/restart the service. Not sure if this was a bug (or user error 🙂), but tinkering with the feature class definitions especially assetgroup (subtype field) required me to republish the service. Existing service was failing to restart due to a renderer issue of some sort.

Downside is, it could be a longer downtime.