How to configure the structural domain classes to work with multiple utility domains

Jump to solution
09-16-2021 02:17 PM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I have been examining the various utility network solutions provided by Esri because our university campus is responsible for most of its utilities—water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, irrigation, electricity from the substation, telecommunications, including fiber, etc.  When I first started examining the utility network, I was pleased that there were structure feature classes that allowed these features to be used across utility domains because we have many structures that are multi-use.  For example, a manhole may contain multiple utilities—it may contain a system valve for the water system, a control valve for the irrigation system, a fiber tube distribution unit, an electrical line, etc.

However, as I have dug into multiple models, I am not so sure how this works.  Consider a manhole.

In the water distribution model, a manhole is found in the Structure Junction feature class>Assetgroup(subtype) 6 (Pipe Vault)  for which the options are:

Asset_Type_Structure_Junction_Pipeline_Vault 

• 0             Unknown
  • 201        Vault
  • 202        Air Release
  • 203        Manhole

In the Communications model, a manhole is found in the Structure Junction feature class>Assetgroup (subtype) 6 (Pipe Vault) for which the options are:

Asset_Type_Structure_Junction_Wire_Vault_Access

• 0             Unknown
  • 161        Manhole

In the Electric model, manhole is found in the Structure Junction feature class>Assetgroup (subtype) 105 (Manhole) for which the options are: 

Asset_Type_Structure_Junction_Electric_Manhole

• 0             Unknown
  • 161        Manhole  

I feel like there is something missing in my understanding.  How do you make this work with multiple utility domains in one utility network?  How would you model a manhole that has water, telecom and electric in it? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VishApte
Esri Contributor

If you are using Asset Package method, you need to delete asset type "manhole" the attribute domains in asset packages except the one you need to retain e.g. Value asset group in Water Asset Package. And you will need to delete the reference to those being deleted in other B_* tables that have asset_type field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VishApte
Esri Contributor

@CherylTrine 

If you are creating multi-domain UN model, there will be a common Structural domain/network that has "relationship" with assets in other domains like Water, Electricity, Comms etc. Using Topology rules, you can create Structural Association  with non-structural assets. e.g. a broadband cable and electric cable can "attach" to a same "pole" which is a StructureJunction. Similarly, structural assets can be "Containers" for a Containment Association  e.g. a "Manhole" can "contain" communication equipment like splicing or cable splitters as well as electrical, water, sewer assets (but I would model Manhole for a sewer network as Sewer Junction or Sewer Device and not a structural junction). Note that structural domain is a passive network and does not model tiers and subnetworks like other domains.  

When you run a trace on a non-structure domain, the trace can highlight structural assets that are either in containment or structural attachment relationship with the network assets being traced. So a broadband cable trace and also highlight all the poles the traced cable(s) are attached to. And similarly, water pipe network trace can highlight all manholes that contain water equipment like valves or fittings etc.

0 Kudos
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks, for your response. 

If I am understanding correctly, I will need to rewrite the Structure domain feature classes so that there is only one "manhole"  assettype, and it is found in the "vault" asset group.  If that is the case, how do I determine what code numbers to associate with each subtype and asset type?

0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor

If you are using Asset Package method, you need to delete asset type "manhole" the attribute domains in asset packages except the one you need to retain e.g. Value asset group in Water Asset Package. And you will need to delete the reference to those being deleted in other B_* tables that have asset_type field.

0 Kudos