How to change ownership of UN from portal user "a" to "b"

Jump to solution
08-11-2019 05:05 PM
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Hi,

It seems Utility Network topology dataset remembers the portal user that was used to create/stage the utility network. How do I transfer the ownership of the UN to another portal user?

Regards,

Vish

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

You are correct that the new tool to transfer ownership of the portal utility network owner is new for ArcGIS Pro 2.4 - it is called:

Update Portal Dataset Owner—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process. In addition to the tool help, there is a section in the following topic:

Utility network dataset administration—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

Vish 

This is something available in Pro2.4 UNv3 via a GP tool.  This did not work in pro2.3/un v2

VishApte
Esri Contributor

Thanks Damien,

I am still on Pro 2.3.3 and "Portal Utility Network Owner" attribute in General pane is read-only. Had checked What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.4—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop   but only mentions about  Transfer ownership of network diagrams—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  Is there a tool in Pro 2.4 now or a right context option or editable property on UN dataset? 

Cheers,

Vish

0 Kudos
DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

I believe the change Portal Utility Network Owner GP tool now updates this field.

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

You are correct that the new tool to transfer ownership of the portal utility network owner is new for ArcGIS Pro 2.4 - it is called:

Update Portal Dataset Owner—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Please let me know if you have any questions about this process. In addition to the tool help, there is a section in the following topic:

Utility network dataset administration—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

Melissa

Have you heard of any issues with this tool?  We have run the GP tool and changed the service owner.  After attempting to run disable topology an error is generated.

We have also restarted the servers in case there was an impact.

Are there any other steps that need to be performed?

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

I've never seen that error message before -

So you are attempting to disable the network topology using a database connection after the portal utility network owner was updated? I was able to run the Update Portal Dataset Owner tool and then able to run the Disable Network Topology tool directly following this (after signing into the portal as the updated portal dataset user of course).

GP history

0 Kudos
DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

Strangely enough when we tried to return the owner back to the original user the system errors that the input dataset must be branch versioned.  Weird as this was in branch versioning.

Next is the re-enable branch versioning then try again.  If that fails we will again attempt to return the owner to the original user.

I’ll keep you updated as we have seen the database change from branch to traditional without anyone actually changing this.

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Strangely enough when we tried to return the owner back to the original user the system errors that the input dataset must be branch versioned.  Weird as this was in branch versioning.

What was the exact error? There may also be a requirement for the database connection to have the versioning type set to branch. 

Yes, support services would be a great place to start investigating this. Keep me posted.

0 Kudos
DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

The versioning strategy changing was the issue.

I will see if we can reproduce and get a support ticket raised.

0 Kudos