How to apply revised asset package to the same utility network

Jump to solution
08-08-2021 08:32 PM
Song_Li
New Contributor III

Hi, I have staged a UN on SDE and applied one Asset Package to it. One of my colleague made some updates to the Asset Package and I want to incoorpate all the changes made. What's the easiest way to do this? Here are the options I am thinking:

1. wipe out the existing SDE (not sure how to do it in ArcPro) and restage the UN 

2. Apply the revised asset package to the same UN

3. Compare and find out the changes, is there tool to compare Asset Packages?

Thanks,

Song

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

Hi @Song_Li 

The below is the workflow that I currently use:

1. Delete the UNM Enterprise Geodatabase via SQL Server Management Studio (i.e. in SQL Server Management Studio, right-click the database and click Delete).
  2. Create a brand-new Enterprise Geodatabase in SQL Server.
  3. Create a UNOWNER in the new Enterprise Geodatabase.
  4. Stage a Utility Network in the new Enterprise Geodatabase.
  5. Apply the revised Asset Package to the new Enterprise Geodatabase.

I hope that helps. Regards

View solution in original post

6 Replies
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Hi Song,

If you have already applied Asset Package to EGDB/SDE, correct method to make changes is

1. Use Utility Network admin tools to make changes. 

2. Export the model as Asset Package for future use.

If you need to make whole lot of changes, changing asset package might be easier. To redeploy, the easiest way I find is to drop the entire geodatabase but if it is shared with other feature classes then you need to disable and drop the Utility Network Topology first and then drop the UN dataset and related tables that participate in the topology.

0 Kudos
Song_Li
New Contributor III

Thanks Vish, I have already applied Asset Package to EGDB/SDE. I can make change with UN admin tools, but they are super slow. Hence I would rather make the changes in File Geodatabase or directly to the Asset Package.

How do you drop the entire geodatabase? is there a tool in ArcPro to reset? or we need to reset it in SQL Server?

Thanks,

Song

0 Kudos
AngeloCirocco2
New Contributor II

Hi Song & Vish,

We have worked with modifying the UN data model from a EnterpriseGDB -> AssetPackage -> Enterprise GDB over a number of iterations.

We found that in addition to dropping the UN datasets and tables;  we needed to ensure all the UN related domains were also removed; otherwise we would get strange errors during applyassetpackage.

0 Kudos
Song_Li
New Contributor III

Thanks Angelo, how do you drop the EnterpriseGDB? by deleting the dataset and all tables in ArcGIS Pro? Simply "stage UN" comes back with an error message. Cheers, Song

0 Kudos
AngeloCirocco2
New Contributor II

Hi Song,

If it is possible to revert back to an empty database with SQL Management (i.e. prior to enabling the Enterprise GDB) this would be preferable. 

Otherwise if this is not possible (as was our case) after disabling the UN topology;  we needed to delete the UN dataset (containing the domain featureclasses and UN topology entity); and the nonspatialobject tables  for each domain using the delete data management tool.  Then we had to iterate over all the domains in a python script to remove the numerous UN domains (all out domains where UN related in our EGDB).  Only then could we call stageUN and applyAP tools again to repopulate using a modified data model.

Note we have only used this technique to prototype upgrading to UN v5 in a staging environment were this  this process worked for us,  but if you are getting errors from the tools I would think esri tech support may need to assist you. 

0 Kudos
DanielSimo
Esri Contributor

Hi @Song_Li 

The below is the workflow that I currently use:

1. Delete the UNM Enterprise Geodatabase via SQL Server Management Studio (i.e. in SQL Server Management Studio, right-click the database and click Delete).
  2. Create a brand-new Enterprise Geodatabase in SQL Server.
  3. Create a UNOWNER in the new Enterprise Geodatabase.
  4. Stage a Utility Network in the new Enterprise Geodatabase.
  5. Apply the revised Asset Package to the new Enterprise Geodatabase.

I hope that helps. Regards