For the Utility Network to work do you have to have z-values?

Jump to solution
11-20-2020 09:38 AM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I know the utility network features classes are z-enabled, but does my data have to have z-values?  I work on a small university campus that owns and manages most of its utilities.  Probably like many small, old universities, it has not maintained very good records of where these utilities are located, workers can only tell me "the line runs somewhere through here."  I have been collecting data via sub-meter GPS whenever there is a utility locate request, and also by sitting down with plant service staff and digitizing what they know (or think they know🤔).  Between these and the drawings that we do have, I have been able to construct useable2D modals of our systems. 

One piece of data I do not have, however, for most of the system, is elevation (or depth).  If I do not have this information, is it going to cause problems with using the Utility Network?  I recognize that I won't be able to do the cool 3D views that are shown, but will the Utility Network still work in general?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

Cheryl - The quick answer is that yes, z-values are required, but many utilities (or campuses like you) do not have z-values for all of their data.

With that being said - your z-values can come over as '0' and the utility network will still work.

If you want to jump on a call and show me your data/talk through what you are thinking - just reach out: bbaldwin@esri.com

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
1 Reply
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

Cheryl - The quick answer is that yes, z-values are required, but many utilities (or campuses like you) do not have z-values for all of their data.

With that being said - your z-values can come over as '0' and the utility network will still work.

If you want to jump on a call and show me your data/talk through what you are thinking - just reach out: bbaldwin@esri.com

-----------------------------------

Brian Baldwin, Esri Inc., Lead Solution Engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/baldwinbrian
Tags (1)