Extremely Long Asset Package Load Times

02-23-2021 11:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using Pro 2.7.1 with Enterprise 10.8.1 and a V4 Asset Package/UN.

We have a water asset package with roughly 1.5 million discrete features.  On the append portion we are currently at a wait time of around 48 hours and the process has not finished.  

We have attempted this in two different environments with the same results.  The db after 48 hours is still being modified according to the mod times but the process is at 60% and seemingly stalled out?

Is there any work arounds to the super long load times?

9 Replies
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

Are there any relationship classes with messaging (eg feature linked annotation)?

Is your DBMS (which platform) on a different machine/network than your Pro client?

If you target a file geodatabase UN, what is the performance there?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Paul.

There is no feature linked annotation.  Using the Esri water asset package.

We are using SQL Server 2019 Standard which is on the same network but  different machine.

We haven't tried in a file gdb but that is on deck.

Right now, the Asset Package append portion is at 80%.  It ticked up from 40% since this morning.  Slowly but surely.  Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We finished up last night after 35 hours.  I'm attempting a load now via a file gdb to get an idea of the difference in times. I'm assuming it will be much quicker but will let you know.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A file gdb takes 7 hours and 45 minutes. Curious why that would even take so long.  It is just an append which shouldn't take that long right?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also installed Pro directly on the SQL Server Machine to see if it was network throughput issue.  Still running after 24 hours so that kind of eliminates that...

The question then becomes, what is going on between SQL Server and Pro that is causing this append to take so long?  If it were attribute rule validation the load to a file gdb would be just the same.  In another post I noted where it took seven hours to load.  What else could it be ?

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

It's possible you are running into BUG-000136514 since you mention attribute rules. There is active development in this area with improvements coming in 2.8 for asset package and core geodatabase.

If you can share your asset package data (or schema), that would be helpful.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Paul.  Can you provide a link to the bug?  I can't find it in my esri or the googles.  If you message me directly I can send over the asset package.  

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor
0 Kudos
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having the the same experience in the fileGDB >8 hours (~2,000,000 features).  Haven't tried an enterprise yet. There should be an AP_workspace folder created when you apply the asset package.  This has lots of details about what is happening especially in the gp_calls.log.  This reports what is happening better than the python console.  What that shows in my case is that the Waterline append is taking 7 hours and 45 minutes.  The attribute rules might be an issue but as far as I can tell from that log is that they created but disabled until the very end of the process.  

0 Kudos