ERROR 001987: The domain is required by utility network and cannot be deleted.

06-04-2018 10:58 PM
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have UN created with one domain network in it.  have few subtypes created in each featureclass with assetype of each subtype having one domain assigned. If I want to change coded description of one these domins, idelly I should do 'remove domain from field', edit+save the domain and again 'Assign domain to field' should assign it back. In reality, 'Assign domain to field' fails to assign it and throws error as below:

ERROR 001987: The domain is required by utility network and cannot be deleted.

If I revert the changes made to domain and reassign it,it works normally which is strange.

Thanks.

5 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Once you have a domain on an asset type and add codes, you may not be able to switch that domain or remove that asset types.  Have you enabled topology yet?  Best option is to export to the asset package and make the changes there.

DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Thanks Michael,

we may have found the culprit - there is an AttributeRule that references the assetgroup value.

i will drop/alter the rule and see if that then allows me to make the changes.

i think it is better to have the UN itself catch these for me rather than try to alter the fgdb in the package and then have orphan or invalid rules.

Do you know if anyone is working on a post or paper that sets out a guideline for getting your own schema into UN? It would be particularly good to get a listing of the fields/asset groups/assettypes that must NOT be altered.

MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Even removing that, you will not be a leave to remove it. It is blocked in a feature class that is part of a utility network.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’m encountered on the same issue while documents don’t offer that much of help. For example, I couldn’t manage what to do as I got same error (001987: The domain is required by utility network and cannot be modified)

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Has any one figure out how to resolve this issue?

The data is attached

Clip_610.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos