Jump to solution
05-17-2021 02:13 PM
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

As I today these are the paths to create a Utility Network:

• ArcGIS Pro 2.6x with Enterprise 10.8.1 and Utility Network version 4
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.7x with Enterprise 10.9 and Utility Network version 5
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.8 No?

I have been running ArcGIS Pro 2.7 for a few months but 10.9 has only recently become available.  In order to create a Utility Network I would either need to install 2.6 or upgrade Enterprise to 10.9, correct?  My organization is working on migrating the Utility Network and plan to fully implement in the fall.  We suspect that we will be able to upgrade to 10.9 by that time.  However some users have already upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.8, will they be able to edit and work with the Utility Network created by earlier versions?

Thank you for any input about how to work with Utility Network and the various versions of software needed for it to work as expected.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Further to reply by @ShelleySchott

The compatibility matrix at https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/utility-network-dataset-administr... says you need ArcGIS 2.7+ to CREATE and ADMINSTRATE Utility Network topology for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.

That said, one of the enhancement is ArcGIS Pro 2.7+ is, it is ArcGIS Enterprise aware when you CREATE Utility Network. It will detect the version of ArcGIS Enterprise and create UN objects matching that version. E.g. if you have ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 and using ArcGIS Pro 2.7+ to create Utility Network, it will create UN model version 3. You don't need to downgrade ArcGIS Pro to 2.5 that matches Enterprise 10.7.1 (in theory, haven't tested it 🙂 )

To EDIT and MAINTAIN the UN data, you can be on higher version of ArcGIS than prescribed in the table above . Pro will simply not use advanced functionality if the version of UN is not compatible as Schelley said. Occasionally, there might be an issue, e.g. we had a Calculation Attribute Rule based on custom GUID field that broke as Pro 2.7 defaults it to {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} instead of leaving it to empty in Pro 2.6 and below.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

@JimmyBowden,

I am currently part of a Utility Network rollout where we are using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1 (and looking to upgrade to ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3). We are not finding red flags in upgrading the ArcGIS Pro client, the users are still able to do their editing in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3. Hopefully I can help answer some of your questions.

There are 2 parts to your post: Software Versions and Editing

1. Software Versions

The ArcGIS Pro version and Enterprise versions listed are the recommended versions to use together due to technical enhancements and improvements in the software. I would sticking close to these recommendations when creating the initial Utility Network services.

This doesn't mean you can't use ArcGIS Pro 2.8 with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1. You will still be able to connect to and work with services in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 which is hosted in your ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1.

The main thing is that the new and enhanced functionality will not work in the older versions of the software. Eg new functionality introduced in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 may require ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 to work.

2. Editing

Because the Utility Network framework is to edit via a service model and you can still connect to these services. You will still be able to edit the Utility Network in a newer version of ArcGIS Pro but some of the new functions won't be available to you.

Hopefully this helps.

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Further to reply by @ShelleySchott

The compatibility matrix at https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/utility-network-dataset-administr... says you need ArcGIS 2.7+ to CREATE and ADMINSTRATE Utility Network topology for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.

That said, one of the enhancement is ArcGIS Pro 2.7+ is, it is ArcGIS Enterprise aware when you CREATE Utility Network. It will detect the version of ArcGIS Enterprise and create UN objects matching that version. E.g. if you have ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 and using ArcGIS Pro 2.7+ to create Utility Network, it will create UN model version 3. You don't need to downgrade ArcGIS Pro to 2.5 that matches Enterprise 10.7.1 (in theory, haven't tested it 🙂 )

To EDIT and MAINTAIN the UN data, you can be on higher version of ArcGIS than prescribed in the table above . Pro will simply not use advanced functionality if the version of UN is not compatible as Schelley said. Occasionally, there might be an issue, e.g. we had a Calculation Attribute Rule based on custom GUID field that broke as Pro 2.7 defaults it to {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} instead of leaving it to empty in Pro 2.6 and below.

0 Kudos
ShelleySchott
Esri Contributor

Thanks for clarifying @VishApte , you are correct about compatibility in the version of the UN and ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro for the maintenance and upkeep of the Utility Network Model itself. 

Shelley Schott
Senior Consultant, Esri Australia
0 Kudos
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification, I needed that help to get past a few mental road blocks.  

For editing seems like we will be okay unless there is some new feature we are trying.  I think I have some attribute rules using some newer features, I will test these to make sure they behave as expected.

As @VishApte indicated I was able to create a utility network using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3 against Enterprise 10.8.1/Utility Network v4.  The problem that I conflated with create the utility network was applying an asset package.  I have an asset package that can be applied to my Enterprise 10.8.1/Utility Network v4 when I use ArcGIS Pro 2.6.3 but  I'm unable to "apply" that asset package when using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.3 (error message "The Utility Network must be version 5").  Not a big issue now that I understand what's happening.  I'm going to try and get my organization to upgrade to Enterprise 10.9 soon and stick with Pro 2.7 until I can get the Utility Network in place.

0 Kudos