Adding Trace Locations - No valid starting locations found ERROR

Jump to solution
12-06-2021 05:32 AM
AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Hello, I struggle with understanding Utility Network. It might be possible that it is easier to teach a dog to ride a bicycle.

I am going through the Tasks provided in Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation, with Water Distribution Editor map. I would like to Locate Leak Location, but I don't get past Adding Trace Locations. The option to Apply added starting points is disabled. I haven't changed anything in the Project File. Network topology is enabled and validated, there are no Dirty areas. I am working on ArcGIS pro 2.9. 

It would be highly appreciated if anyone would help me with this confusion.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoelSmith3
Esri Contributor

Hello Anete,

I have seen this before where the trace features path is broken:

JoelSmith3_0-1638804925700.png

Can you check for a valid path and if it is broken set the source to the default geodatabase here:

JoelSmith3_1-1638804972155.png

I hope that helps,
Joel

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JoelSmith3
Esri Contributor

Hello Anete,

I have seen this before where the trace features path is broken:

JoelSmith3_0-1638804925700.png

Can you check for a valid path and if it is broken set the source to the default geodatabase here:

JoelSmith3_1-1638804972155.png

I hope that helps,
Joel

Brownschuh
Occasional Contributor II

Ran into this exact issue today with the Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation template and going through the Leak Location Task.  Remapping the broken paths fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
ScottEvans
New Contributor

Wanted to follow-up on this thread as I am now testing the Sewer Utility Network and am encountering the same error as before (ERROR 001785: No valid starting locations found.)  Thinking it might be the broken path issue, I checked that but to no avail.  Paths look good.

ScottEvans_0-1647963607818.png

Any idea what else could be throwing this error?

0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

Wanted to follow-up with this. I am having this same issue and starting to get really frustrated with this error. My Starting Points and Barriers path to the GDB and Utility Network is just fine. I have gone thru and Disabled the Topology and enabled it back again. One of the contributing factors that this is happening is when I append a large amount of new data and then try to trace the network to update the subnetwork. This is when I have been getting this error. I have duplicated the error multiple times after going back to restoring the GDB from one of my back-up copies. Any ideas????

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Check the parameters in your tool. I've found that if i open the dialog with something that doesn't auto-populate those parameters (like a subnetwork trace) then switch over to something that does require those parameters (like an upstream trace) that the tool doesn't automatically pick up the starting locations / barriers from my map.

You can run into the same issue if you're building a python script or a model to automate tracing tasks.

0 Kudos