Turn on Branch Versioning by default when Staging a Utility Network

01-08-2020 05:30 AM
Labels (1)
AdrienHafner
Occasional Contributor

We're in the process of implementing the Utility Network and have made dozens of model changes as we add additional rules, make domain changes, append data, etc.  One recurring, frustrating thing that keeps happening is when we open a Project Template in ArcGIS Pro to make the changes, or a new user connects to the geodatabase hosting the UN, Branch Versioning is not automatically set as the versioning type.  We have seen this cause numerous cryptic error messages, and issues that get propagated along until we figure out that we forgot to change a new database connection to Branch Versioning (even if the UN has resided in the database for some time).  My idea or suggestion is that when the "Stage Utility Network" geoprocessing tool is run, it automatically locks that geodatabase down to Branch Versioning only.  Since the UN must be Branch Versioned, it makes sense to do this at the stage where you prepare your database to contain a UN.

5 Comments
MelissaJarman

I do understand your frustration with cases where users make new connections that the versioning type is set using traditional by default. It is not possible for us to force the geodatabase to only allow branch versioning connections to be established as you can have a mixture of different versioning types in a geodatabase. 

At some point in the future, it may be possible to request that branch be the default for new connection files. This would be a viable enhancement/idea.

If there are specific operations that you don't think should require a branch connection to complete, share these.

In the meantime, I suggest that you continue to educate users about the importance of always checking the Geodatabase connection properties for the connection to ensure that branch is set for the versioning type. They can also run the tool to update these.

Update Geodatabase Connection Properties To Branch—Data Management toolbox | Documentation 

MelissaJarman
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Having the ability to set the default versioning type for new database connections would be a good enhancement to making database connections where you always wanted a specific type of versioning to be used. 

MelissaJarman
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Plans to add a new ArcGIS Pro option at the application level to set the default versioning type for new enterprise geodatabase connections that use the Database Connection dialog UI. 

This setting will not impact connections created using the Create Database Connection tool as there are already options in this tool to set the version type.

As far as I know, the Stage Utility Network tool uses the Update Geodatabase Connection Properties To Branch for connections to ensure the correct versioning type is used. We are not wanting to 'lock down' the entire geodatabase to a specific versioning type because you can have mixed registrations types of data in a single geodatabase.

AdrienHafner

Great news!  Thank you for the update, Melissa!  I think having a default connection type will be a big help and improvement.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

In ArcGIS Pro 3.0, the option to set default versioning type has been added:

KoryKramer_0-1656103235960.png

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm