Problem constructing a Network dataset

10-23-2019 06:28 AM
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

Hi,

When I try to create a network dataset from a SHAPEFILE I get the error: "could not create network dataset". I am following all the steps although most of what I found refer to using a GEODATABASE instead of a shapefile, so perhaps this is the problem. Can anyone help??

Thanks

David

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi David,

It would probably be more productive to ask this in the Network Analyst‌ space.  What steps are you following?

Creating a network dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop   has the following for creating network datasets from shapefiles:

How many shapefile sources do you have and are they organized in the same folder?  Is there a reason that you're using shapefiles; or would it be possible to import your data into a geodatabase feature dataset and create a network dataset from that?

0 Kudos
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

Hi Kory, here are the steps:

1) Open ArcCatalog and navigate to my shapefile of railroads in the US

2) Right click on it -> New -> Network dataset

3) name it railroads_ND

4) click yes to model turns

5) click connectivity -> I see source: the railroad file, connectivity policy: end_point, number 1 checked

6) How would you lie to model the elevation of your netwrok features? Here I choose 'None' because I don't have elevation fields (should I set elevation fields> if so, how??)

7) Do you want to establish directions? Yes. In the Network Direction Properties I choose 'RRname" as the name

😎 Finish

I then get the message "could not create the newtork"

Thanks!!

PS. I will ask this in the Network Analyst space

0 Kudos
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

Kory,

I am using only one shapefile. I could try to import this into a geodatabase feature dataset if you think that would solve the problem

0 Kudos