How do I get my content to show up in ArcGIS Urban?

Jump to solution
07-20-2020 10:56 AM
JasonNewsome
New Contributor

My zoning maps, parcels, and Landuse maps do not show up when trying to import the data into ArcGIS Urban.  I have saved these as feature layers, web maps, and web scenes and none of them show up.  Is there a setting I need to change to allow the use of maps in Urban?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi all ,

Jason and I discovered the issue was uploading a zipped shapefile to AGOL with two files inside it. The file uploads and publishes as one feature service, but when you open it in the map viewer, there are two "sub-layers" if you like. ArcGIS Urban does not like! Urban totally ignores the service - so much so, it doesn't even show up as an option to select. Here's a picture one a test shapefile I uploaded today.
Hosted Feature layer with two "sub-layers"This is kind of a cool way to publish several shapefiles at once - just not a format ArcGIS Urban needs for it's data model. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason Newsome‌,

Thanks for your question. 

Zoning, land use, and parcel boundaries can be imported from hosted feature layers. Please be aware that some layers such as the zoning boundaries and the land-use boundaries require that you import zoning types and land use types first. You can also find additional information about the import of data in this section of the ArcGIS Urban online documentation. 

In the portal item picker that is shown in the screenshot you've shared, you can configure where you want to search for your layers data. If you want to import data from a hosted feature layer that is only available to you, select the "My content" option from the button below the search bar. If you want to search through the whole content that is shared with your ArcGIS Online organization, select the "My organization" option. 

Let us know if you are having further questions. 

Kind Regards,

Dominik

0 Kudos
JasonNewsome
New Contributor

Dominik Thank you, however 

My problem is that none of the hosted feature layers that I create in ArcGIS Online show up in the “My Content” or “My Organization” searches for any of the imported layers in Arc GIS Urban.  But the Urban models and layers are visible in Arc GIS Online side.  Is there a setting I need to change to allow My Content to be accessible in Urban?

0 Kudos
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason Newsome

In order to understand your issue better, it would be nice to have some more information:

What workflow do you use to publish your hosted feature layers (e.g. publish from ArcGIS Pro or directly publish a shapefile on ArcGIS Online)? After publishing, do you see your hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online in "My Content"? If yes, can you try opening the feature layer in the Map Viewer on ArcGIS Online (click on the hosted feature layer and select "Open in Map Viewer" on the right side of the items overview page)?

I hope that I can help you with this additional information. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Till

0 Kudos
JasonNewsome
New Contributor

Thanks Till,

I will say that I am an administrator and creator of my account so there should not be restrictions.

I have published feature layers in two different ways Using ArcGIS Online (I do not have ArcGIS Pro)

First, I have imported zipped shapefile folders from the “My Content” page Add Item>From Your Computer> Choose File>contents-shapefile (with the “Publish This file as a hosted layer” checked)  I am able to see the map in my content.

This does not show up in the “my content” in Arc GIS Urban when trying to add a layer.

The second way is from the Content Page, Create>Feature Layer>From Existing Layer>Create Feature Layer

I am able to see the map and its functions in ArcGIS online but nothing appears to show up as an option in ArcGIS Urban. 

I have changed the sharing settings from Private, to Organization, to Public and none of them have been visible from Urban.  I am new to all of this and may be missing a step. I have followed many of the instructions that appear on your website but there seems to be something else that is not working.  I can see all of the urban design plans, the databases, and Urban models in my ArcGIS Online content, but cannot see any of the feature layers from “my Content” in Urban.

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason - I'm a solution engineer on the smart Cities team. If you have time today - I can jump on a call and see what the issue is? I'm in California. Where are you based? Feel free to email me at kmorrish@esri.com

0 Kudos
KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi all ,

Jason and I discovered the issue was uploading a zipped shapefile to AGOL with two files inside it. The file uploads and publishes as one feature service, but when you open it in the map viewer, there are two "sub-layers" if you like. ArcGIS Urban does not like! Urban totally ignores the service - so much so, it doesn't even show up as an option to select. Here's a picture one a test shapefile I uploaded today.
Hosted Feature layer with two "sub-layers"This is kind of a cool way to publish several shapefiles at once - just not a format ArcGIS Urban needs for it's data model.