ArcGIS Urban Essential Skills tutorials are here!

12-27-2019 02:20 PM
KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor
7 25 7,250

Successful urban planners have an important mission: shape the future of urban environments by creating livable, walkable, and affordable communities. To do this, they need the most advanced 3D tools for orchestrating complex urban development life cycles. 

ArcGIS Urban provides everything planners need to devise effective solutions to urban problems—creating area plans, tracking infrastructure, performing land analyses, visualizing urban data with sophisticated 3D technologies, and collaborating more easily with other organizations.

To help you get started, we’ve created a series of quick tutorials that teach you the most efficient workflows for managing plans and projects, comparing design scenarios, and interacting with stakeholders—and that’s only a few of the skills you’ll learn!

As you work through the tutorials, jot down questions and share your feedback with us and other users. I’ll check GeoNet regularly to answer your questions.

Activate Your Trial account to begin. Check back often for tips and guidance, including a video that will step you through the process of setting up a trial and launching an Example City. Before you know it, you’ll be Authoring a Greenfield Plan in Hardeeville, South Carolina, or learning to Add a New Indicator for coastal resiliency in Boston, Massachusetts.

In the following list of topics, click the image to link directly to a specific video. The videos are grouped under the example city so that you can launch the city for the tutorial that interests you. Jump into learning ArcGIS Urban with confidence!

UPDATE: Learn to add your own data to ArcGIS Urban through the Data Manager tutorials! These tutorials use the city of Melbourne Example City.

Jason Karian‌ and Lisa Staehli‌ Thank you for all your help and feedback!

Hardeeville, South Carolina 

In this video, you will learn how to navigate in ArcGIS Urban and become familiar with the Urban user interface.

9 mins

In this video, you will author a new plan for a greenfield site in Hardeeville, SC and become familiar with the tools to manipulate zoning and parcel information. 

13 mins

In this video, you will create a new proposed zone based on existing land regulations to explore options for where to extend and apply zoning changes.

5 mins

In this video, you will create a custom building type to test various build out potential for a plan area and enable the scenarios to realize each undeveloped parcel. 

4 mins

In this video, you will learn how to manage the space use types within your plan and test various assumptions to better understand downstream capacity metrics.

8 mins

In this video, you will learn how to create a new project in ArcGIS Urban from existing 3D projects models.

4 mins

Boston, Massachusetts

In this video, you will learn how to create a custom indicator for coastal resiliency in Boston, MA by referencing web scenes and an operations dashboard.

2 mins

In this video, you will author a new plan in ArcGIS Urban for a corridor specific plan in Boston, MA and become familiar with the tools to manipulate zoning and parcel information.

9 mins

In this video, you will learn how to create a new overlay and experiment with a potential height change to proactively reimagine an industrial use corridor of South Boston.

4 mins

Melbourne, Australia

In this video, you will learn which data is needed to support your urban planning workflows and how to prepare and add the data into ArcGIS Urban through the Data Manager.

3 mins

In this video, you will learn how to configure the default space use types that are used in your ArcGIS Urban through the Data Manager.

2 mins

In this video, you will learn how to configure the default building types, based on your space use types, that are used in your ArcGIS Urban.
3 mins

In this video, you will learn how to load your own project data through the Data Manager and set the corresponding status types used in your ArcGIS Urban.
5 mins 

In this video, you will learn how to load your own parcel and zoning district information through the Data Manager.
4 mins

25 Comments
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Keera Morrish‌, is the street view option available in version 1 of ArcUrban? I can see that option in our model. Thank you

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi Providence Adu (PLN)‌ street view is available in the 1.1 release of Urban - check all the new features in this blog! 

Hope this helps.

SandeepGa
New Contributor

Hi there, in the 'Example Hardeeville', there is no Scenario 6 in Scenario Selector and none of the other scenarios shop up in Urban. Please see the image below. I hope you can fix it.

Also, is there a tutorial for Urban that takes you through step-by-step on creating scenarios from scratch using building footprints and zoning.

Thanks.

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi Sandeep. Thanks for the comment - I'm taking a look now...stand by!

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi Sandeep Gangar, there are two videos you can check out for loading building footprints and zoning. They are Data Manager: Getting Started and Data Manager: Loading Parcels and Zoning. Check back in a day or two for these videos. There's also information about preparing your zoning data in the help doc here.

You'll find a great step-by step tutorial Getting Started with ArcGIS Urban by Natalie Schoebitz that covers setting up an Urban Model from scratch and how to load your own buildings layer. The interface has changed so let me know if you need a hand with this. For creating new scenarios check out Authoring a Corridor Plan around 3 mins in. The help doc will also step you through creating new scenarios. let me know if this helps and feel free to reach out again with more information about what are are doing with urban - happy to help however I can!

For the video - I see what you mean. I suggest you zoom to the Millstone Tract PDD & Conceptual Master Plan and adjust the screen (as is the video) to look similar to the image below. Use the rough green outline to sketch out the plan area. This should allow you to continue with the tutorial. Please reach out if I didn't explain this clearly and let me know how you get on - happy to follow up with you.

JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor

@Keera Morrish 

Based on the video on creating a custom indicator, I created a web scene using a floodplain layer. Used the same layer to create a dashboard and setup up an indicator to show the count of parcels in the dashboard. When I incorporate the dashboard and webscene in ArcGIS Urban's custom indicator, I see the entire dashboard along with the map on the side. How do I set up so it shows only the chart and not the map on the left panel? Also when I pan  on Urban, the chart is updated. I don't see any setting in Urban to do the same. Please let me know.

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Sandeep Gangar‌ the Data Manager tutorials have been added! These will take you through step-by-step creating parcels and zoning.

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Julie Keller‌ can you send me an email kmorrish@esri.com? If you have time, we can do a quick call so I can see what's going on. Let me know if this will work for you?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Keera Morrish‌, I am testing out the Ideas option in ArcUrban, I am able to add an idea and allow external users to add ideas, but when it comes to voting up or voting down, ArcUrban is asking external users to login before they can vote. How do I fix that?

DavidKossowsky1
Esri Contributor

Great tutorials! Can you explain how the "Future Buildings" toggle works? In the sample demo cities it seems to turn on and off certain buildings, however there is no documentation to explain how to set something like this up.

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Providence Adu (PLN)‌ Let me look into that! And thanks for the question.

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

David Kossowsky‌ thanks for the question. I'm looking at the example cities now and see what you mean. Let me write something up about this - check back in a day or so?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sure, also is there a way people can comment on suggested ideas, like can that be an enhancement, just like we are chatting about Urban here? 

DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Providence Adu (PLN)‌,
This is expected. Everybody (means logged-in as well as anonymous users) can add ideas but in order to up- or down-vote the ideas of others, you need to be logged in. However, in order to have the up- and down-vote buttons available, already a free ArcGIS Online public account is sufficient: Create account—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation. It is not required that the user belongs to the same ArcGIS Online organization as your Urban Model.

DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Providence Adu (PLN)‌,

Thank you for this question.

Commenting on suggested ideas is not possible in Urban 1.1. However, we are aware of this need and are planning to provide more feedback and commenting capabilities in future versions of ArcGIS Urban - stay tuned 🙂

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hi David Kossowsky‌ - 

The Future Buildings layer in the table of contents turns off the buildings (BuildingsLOD1) not the plans/projects themselves. So if there is a colored 3D building associated with the project, then this toggle should turn it on and off and also the masking is turned on and off (in order to show the buildings). That's why in the overview you can see some building turn on/off when you toggle this layer. Future Buildings (extruded polygon footprints) can be added through the data-manager. 

Does this help David?

Thanks Lisa Staehli‌ for this information.

DavidKossowsky1
Esri Contributor

Hi Keera Morrish‌, this is very helpful. Thank you! I did not realize that the buildings in the sample scenes have masking enabled, allowing them to be turned on and off with the future buildings layer.

Another question here - is there a way to delete multiple projects in one go? Right now it seems that in order to delete a project, I would need to go to the project settings, click delete, and then type the name of the project to confirm the delete. This becomes quite cumbersome when removing multiple projects.

KeeraMorrish
Esri Contributor

Hey David Kossowsky‌ good question! Dominik Allemann‌ , Lisa Staehli‌ - is it possible to delete multiple projects at once? 

DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hey David Kossowsky,

The workflow that you describe is the foreseen way for deleting projects. This means that the current version of Urban does not support the deletion of multiple projects in one go. 

However, we plan to introduce additional data management capabilities to future versions of Urban - stay tuned.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dominik Allemann‌, is there a way the public can vote without creating an ArcGIS online account? Creating ArcGIS online account to vote isn't convenient. Is it possible to add that enhancement in future releases? We work with the public a lot, and we can necessarily ask all of them to have an account before voting on public project. 

DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Providence Adu (PLN)‌,

No, voting without an ArcGIS Online account is currently not possible in ArcGIS Urban. Asking people to sign-in with an account is our current approach to make sure that a particular user can only vote once per comment. Nevertheless, I understand your concerns. 

We are planning to provide more advanced feedback and commenting capabilities in future versions of ArcGIS Urban, as I've already mentioned in an earlier comment here on GeoNet - stay tuned :-).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Dominik AllemannKeera Morrish‌, the Mapillary service in ArcUrban, do you get the 3D street view service as part of the Arcurban license or you would have to get the 3D separately from Mapillary? 

Thank you

DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi Providence Adu (PLN)‌,

Thanks for the question. 

In order to use ArcGIS Urban with Mapillary imagery you need to create a Mapillary API-key (a.k.a. access token). Please also refer to the "General Settings" topic (section "Street View") of the ArcGIS Urban documentation.

And as a little side note: the product is called "ArcGIS Urban" - not "ArcUrban" 🙂 Thank you very much for your understanding.

Thanks,
Dominik

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I realize the training videos are only a year and a half old but as the user interface has changed is there any plans to make updated videos? Thanks!

KeeraMorrish1
New Contributor

Hi, Gregory!

We have a new release coming out in July and plan to release a new series of tutorial videos. Stay tuned, and I'll post here when the tutorials are live on YouTube 🙂 

Best,

Keera