Select to view content in your preferred language

What coordinate system should I use if I am mapping all of North America?

Jump to solution
04-25-2022 11:13 AM
CarlyConticchio1
New Contributor II

Forgive me if I am posting this to the wrong place, as I am new to this community and I am a GIS noob. 

I am mapping species presence across North America (monarch butterflies). I am at a loss for what coordinate system I should use for this. Google gave me several conflicting answers. I was thinking web mercator but I don't want to do the whole analysis just for it to be wrong. Please advise!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It probably depends on your analysis, but generally, web mercator is a bad idea for analysis, given how much distortion it introduces.

As a fun aside, checkout Mercator: EXTREME. It lets you place the north pole somewhere else, and see what a web mercator projection might look like based on that new pole.

jcarlson_0-1650912011229.png

You'd probably be okay going with something like an Albers projection. It's what the USGS uses, if that sways your opinion.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It probably depends on your analysis, but generally, web mercator is a bad idea for analysis, given how much distortion it introduces.

As a fun aside, checkout Mercator: EXTREME. It lets you place the north pole somewhere else, and see what a web mercator projection might look like based on that new pole.

jcarlson_0-1650912011229.png

You'd probably be okay going with something like an Albers projection. It's what the USGS uses, if that sways your opinion.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
CarlyConticchio1
New Contributor II

Thank you! That was the other option I was thinking. Now the points themselves on the map, they should also be in Albers? Or should just my map frame and North America polygon?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Any analysis output will probably default to the projection of the input data unless otherwise specified. I'd keep it all in the same projection, myself, but you don't have to.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
CarlyConticchio1
New Contributor II

Perfect. Thanks so much for the help!

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi @CarlyConticchio1 

I recommend North America Albers Equal Area Conic. If any of your analysis involves area or distance measurements, you'll want an equal area projection.

As @jcarlson said, your map frame is probably using the same coordinate system as your data. But you should probably check to make sure it is. If you are using ArcGIS Pro, you can check it here:

HeatherSmith_1-1650916717108.png

When you Geoprocessing tools, they will use the coordinate system of the input data to compute the analysis.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Not to detract to much from some responses, they are good information.

I will always suggest this projection for all GIS Projects until something more universally functional comes along.

WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere
WKID: 3857 Authority: EPSG

0 Kudos