Creating buffer automatically along the tracks?

Jump to solution
01-08-2021 02:34 PM
ChangNi1
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are considering using the tracking function in Field Maps to help our field technician check his coverage while inspecting a site. We are required to have 30m spacing between the walking paths, and I'm wondering if there is a way to do that in Field Maps.

Right now the only way I can think of is using the feature layer created by Tracker and regularly update buffers around the points on the backend, but it would be nice if this can be automated, with our technician walking the site and seeing a buffered path showing up behind him so he can see and fill any gaps immediately.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

1. If the tracks are stored on the device before uploading, will the inspector see his own track line in real-time or near real-time? Probably not the optimal solution for us but it would be helpful too. 

Yes, the tracks are recorded as points on the device and then periodically uploaded. The tracks are rendered in the mobile app as lines and are updated in real-time as new locations are recorded. So you can see were you have traveled in real-time.

2. My understanding of "tracks would be uploaded every 10 minutes" (our technicians mostly walk without their devices plugged in) is that the associated point feature layer in ArcGIS Online storing everyone's tracks will be updated every 10 minutes. Is that correct?

Yes, the mobile app (when not plugged in) will upload tracks every 10 minutes. So if you have multiple inspectors, they each will be uploading tracks every 10 minutes (but not at the exact same time).

3. Is there any reference about the server-side component to add the buffer to tracks? We don't take maps offline unless there's no connection on site (rarely), so that's not a major concern to us.

This would have to be a custom process or script. There are some example Jupyter/Python notebooks we have created that may be of interest to you - though they would not do exactly what you are asking.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ChangNi1 

There is no off-the-shelf solution for this.

As you mention, there could be a server-side component that generates the buffers. There are going to be some limitations with that approach:

1. Tracks are uploaded in batches using a "store-and-forward" method to minimize batter impact and support offline workflows. So unless the device is configure with an MDM, at a minimum tracks would be uploaded every 1 minute if the device is plugged in (10 minutes if not). So the inspector wouldn't really have up-to-date information.

2. Since it does require a server-side component, it wouldn't work offline.

We have had related requests like this come up before but it has generally been to make sure an inspector was close enough to an asset (e.g. a pipeline). It sounds like you just want the polyline to be optionally buffered and displayed. Is that correct? Are there any other requirements?

ChangNi1
New Contributor III

Hello @Anonymous User,

Thanks for the response!

Yes, our main requirement is to have the track (polyline or point) buffered and displayed in Field Maps, preferably somewhat automatically. Our field technicians are required to walk the site at 30m spacing, so it's a matter of adequate coverage instead of being close to a specific location.

An alternative proposed by my supervisor is to make the points showing up as 30m diameter in size. I believe it's not possible as point size is measured in pt. Please let me know if my assumption is correct.

Couple of additional questions:

1. If the tracks are stored on the device before uploading, will the inspector see his own track line in real-time or near real-time? Probably not the optimal solution for us but it would be helpful too. 

2. My understanding of "tracks would be uploaded every 10 minutes" (our technicians mostly walk without their devices plugged in) is that the associated point feature layer in ArcGIS Online storing everyone's tracks will be updated every 10 minutes. Is that correct?

3. Is there any reference about the server-side component to add the buffer to tracks? We don't take maps offline unless there's no connection on site (rarely), so that's not a major concern to us.

(We don't have a Tracker license so it's all my take from documentations. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding anything)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, the tracks are recorded as points on the device and then periodically uploaded. The tracks are rendered in the mobile app as lines and are updated in real-time as new locations are recorded. So you can see were you have traveled in real-time.

Yes, the mobile app (when not plugged in) will upload tracks every 10 minutes. So if you have multiple inspectors, they each will be uploading tracks every 10 minutes (but not at the exact same time).

This would have to be a custom process or script. There are some example Jupyter/Python notebooks we have created that may be of interest to you - though they would not do exactly what you are asking.

0 Kudos