Select to view content in your preferred language

Comprehensive resource Survey123 Connect, especially advanced topics??

Tuesday
PegGronemeyer1
Occasional Contributor

For the past few years I've hesitated to post this question - at the risk of having dozens of examples sent to me, or being considered unwilling to do the work to find the help for my questions. I guess I've reached my limit of frustration.  Maybe I am missing something, if so, I hope people will point it out. 

My apologies, but this is long as I am trying to fully explain what I am looking for, which is well beyond a single tutorial.

First, however, I would like to make clear that the help from ESRI staff, other GIS individuals, and forum members is _greatly_ appreciated, there is immeasurable knowledge on this forum, as well as at ESRI Learning, you-tube, and outside of ESRI.  In no way am I suggesting that people are not helpful. 

My request is for some sort of  comprehensive  document, book, set of tutorials, etc. that actually lists or outlines a complete set of coherent topics for Survey123.  Information does exist, but the issue is finding it in some reasonable amount of time.  Searching for something that you don't know the name or keyword for is not ideal.

I fondly remember "Mastering ArcGIS" by Maribeth Price, an incredibly useful book with step by step instructions, that also helped the student learn how to think or learn what was possible and how to pull separate tools together into complete workflows. 

I cannot articulate why Price's book was so much better than other textbooks or lab books that never seemed to quite "get it" as far as teaching.  (I do not know if it is critical thinking or active learning? Maybe others can help clarify?) Sort of like how some teachers/professors present facts clearly, but do not link up or connect the topics into a full understanding.  Whereas other teachers somehow are able to open up a world of possibilities on the same topic. 

I understand that as S123 has evolved, ESRI has created more tools and increased the app's potential. (The same for ArcGIS Desktop - hence different editions of Price's book). On dozens of occasions I did not even know the potential to do something with S123 even existed until I accidentally stumbled on something, usually while looking for the answer to some other question or just scrolling through the forum.   I will try to explain using examples.

Recently I stumbled on more "appearance" and body::esri:style options for S123 Connect than I realized even existed.  E.g. multiline, new-rear/front for an image qt; distress for int qt; combining w parameters with other appearance options; body::esri:style method=camera,map,browse.   

It's not that the information doesn't exist - it is that the information is scattered far and wide and extremely difficult to find in a complete form.  If I do not know the potential of, for ex, being able to annotate on a map of your location (that you zoomed to in the field app) then I cannot search for it.  If I do not know - that is, I cannot scan a table of contents or index or similar, then I cannot know that the potential to fix my survey is possible.  Again, I understand S123 has evolved, maybe if some of the completely outdated information was removed, instead of just saying "This has been updated in version xyz", it would help.

Or is it that we should focus on the ODK website for 'what is possible'?  

Again, maybe I have just missed the obvious, and although I will feel a bit of a fool, I honestly wouldn't care if someone could say, "Oh - you have to go to these two websites/documents/etc. and you can see a (mostly) full table of contents or organized list of tools/topics and subtopics etc." 

This is not the first time I have voiced my frustrations and confusion. I have asked ESRI tech support multiple times, sent detailed emails, screenshots of examples and talked online.  Support has tried to be helpful, to address my questions - I do not mean to criticize them - and really their job is to answer specific questions.  I'm sure my communication of my issues could use clarity.  I'm hoping someone here can provide that, or perhaps suggestion someone in particular to ask?

My only other thought is that it seems this way for me since I did not get into Connect in the beginning.  I've only used it for a few years - so it is a bit like missing the first half of a semester of a class. If that is the case, and I am the only one with these opinions, then it is on me to "make up for lost time", which I have been doing, albeit not completely successfully. 

Apologies if this is not an appropriate place for my convoluted questions; I am happy to discuss off - forum.  Respectfully-

Peg Gronemeyer

Tags (1)
6 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Totally agree but here are some links to help for now.

There are 23 different tutorials here  https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-survey123/resources 

There are classes here  https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/   I think anyone with Maintenance agreement can take them at no added cost and some are free for all.

I just got send this "Cheat Sheet" for ArcPy and its pretty cool.  https://community.esri.com/t5/python-documents/the-arcpy-cheatsheet/ta-p/1501255  One of these for 123 would be cool.

Esri Community is currently revamping this site to help as well.  I have pushed them to use AI so users can ask plain language questions.  I think things like sticky posts would be nice too.  The big reason I read this forum daily is to hear the pulse of what is up out there.  

Hope that helps a bit

PegGronemeyer1
Occasional Contributor

thanks @DougBrowning for the links.  I've worked through several of the first two links, and the cheat sheet may be helpful, especially for the programmer wizard that I am constantly bothering. 

I think the AI would help a lot for searching the forum - the tags and keywords are useless and I often get search results that have nothing to do with what I'm searching for, e.g. I consistently get 'public' (for over a year) showing up as a highlighted word - even when I'm searching things like "image-map" or 'field app'.  (See attached). The search term I'm using doesn't seem to clear either - even when I've shut down everything and/or refreshed the webpage.  I asked ESRI but they had no answer.

Apparently the search issues are not new: https://community.esri.com/t5/community-feedback/exact-phrase-search-doesn-t-appear-to-work/td-p/101... 

(Apologies - there used to be a recommended way to link to another post - I thought - better than just inserting the link, but I can't find the tip, and I can't remember).

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I definitely agree with the sentiment, there is so much information out there for Survey123, but it's difficult to navigate. It's in many different places and as you build surveys that's when you learn about the capabilities (or limitations).

I'm not sure what a full write up or collection for Survey123 would look like, but it'd definitely help.

I've been trying to get all of my surveys fully documented for business continuity reasons if I were to no longer be available to work on them, because I know it'd be near impossible for someone new to piece together all the stuff I've come across in the last few years.

PegGronemeyer1
Occasional Contributor

I have been trying to put together a user manual for my own use, but the time it takes is unreasonable.  All I have are documents with tables of content and subject lines w/hotlinks.  But to really use consistent subject headings and keywords is also time consuming.   I spend so much time searching for small snippets of information - but never the full set of steps, or even close to it.  I think this forum could help tons if the search capability worked.  I've sent examples and screenshots to ESRI, (upon their request)  but there's never any change.  Very frustrating.  

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They are working on a full rebuild with a new vendor now.  Just takes some time.

0 Kudos
PegGronemeyer1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for posting that!  It's encouraging to know it is in the works at least...