Yes/No Question Removes User Input if Toggled 'No' after Input

Jump to solution
06-08-2023 07:00 AM
MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

I have multiple forms with Yes/No questions to expand building equipment information if they are present.

Users toggle 'Yes', fill out their data and continue.

We've learned that if a user mistakenly toggles 'No' after filling out a section, all the input data is lost.

Is there a way to safeguard this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We had the same issue.  Esp since the No is really easy to tap when scrolling.  We even tried swapping yes and no for this.  Using relevant changes all hidden questions to empty string by design.  That is why they wipe.

You can instead use the newish body::esri:visible column.  It works the same on a true/false expression so you can simply move your relevant column value over (just make sure to always use Paste Values).  I think yes also works.

Note this does mean if a user fills it out then says opps and changes to No the data stays so it may have answers even with a no.  You could add a check for that.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We had the same issue.  Esp since the No is really easy to tap when scrolling.  We even tried swapping yes and no for this.  Using relevant changes all hidden questions to empty string by design.  That is why they wipe.

You can instead use the newish body::esri:visible column.  It works the same on a true/false expression so you can simply move your relevant column value over (just make sure to always use Paste Values).  I think yes also works.

Note this does mean if a user fills it out then says opps and changes to No the data stays so it may have answers even with a no.  You could add a check for that.

Hope that helps

MelissaSalich
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! This does it!

This Esri blog describes in more detail what you suggested: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-hidden-relevant-an...