Would two distinct surveys return same unique identifiers for deviceID?

08-17-2020 01:13 PM
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

I was considering sending a very simple survey to all of my users who submit data in a separate survey for CWD surveillance. The simple survey would ask what their name is, which device they are using, and would capture deviceID. I would have each of these folks submit one entry from each of their devices they might use to submit data (phones, PCs, tablets, etc.). I was hoping I could use this information to then create a lookup file that would prepopulate (via pulldata) who is entering the data in our CWD surveillance database. However, this would only work if the unique identifier for deviceID was the same for both surveys. Is there any reason to suspect that they would be the same? Any advice is appreciated! James TedrickIsmael Chivite‌ 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Ismael Chivite‌ any ideas??

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Philip Wilson‌ might you be able to help with this? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
JamesKelly4
Occasional Contributor

Jim Moore‌ might you be able to help with this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.  The original intent of the deviceid property in the XLSForm specification was to help you retrieve the Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number that is associated with a mobile phone. This number is unique to every phone. For different reasons, this property does not exist or has been hidden in some operating systems. For this reason, the implementation of deviceid in Survey123 does not actually retrieve the IMEI number. Instead, it retrieves a unique string that identifies a installation of Survey123 in your device.  When Survey123 is installed, the unique string is created.   The deviceid property retrieved from Survey123 will be the same for a device until you reinstall Survey123. 

In your particular case, it looks like you want to automatically keep track of the person that is submitting records from Survey123.  Since the deviceid string will change over time when Survey123 is installed, I am afraid that the method described will not be robust.  Your pulldata table will change over time.

I think a most robust approach is to provide an ArcGIS Account to people using Survey123. Survey123 uses editor tracking to tag every record submitted with information about the time when the record was added or updated. Editor tracking also automatically keeps track of the name that makes the add or update.