Why will surveys not download in Survey123 when launched from Collector?

08-02-2019 09:21 AM
LindsayKing1
New Contributor III

We have a new issue that we just started seeing this morning.  We have staff using iPads in the field to conduct inspections.  They use Collector for ArcGIS to locate a parcel on the map, and then from the parcel's pop-up, they tap a link which launches Survey123, then they fill in information about the inspection in Survey123.  

In the past, if the survey was not already present on the device, Survey123 would automatically download it and the staff could seamlessly continue with their work.

Starting this morning, we are noticing that if the survey is not already on the device, when the Survey123 field app is launched from Collector, it "hangs" on downloading the survey.  I can reproduce this behavior with version 3.5.176 on both the iPad and an Android device.  We did not have this problem with a previous version (e.g. 3.5.164).  Did this functionality break in version 3.5.176?

When a survey that is not already present on the device is launched from Collector, Survey123 "hangs" on downloading the survey.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
KennethEggering2
New Contributor

We have the same issue with 3.5.176. I originally thought it was windows related, but that turned out not to be the case. The previous version of 3.5.164 works fine. Downgrading (uninstall the new, reinstall the old...executable attached) fixed the issue.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay and Kenneth,

Thanks for reporting this. This is a known issue with the latest 3.5.176 field app released late last week. We have a fix for it already and will be releasing a 3.5 hotfix to the app stores as soon as possible. It should be available by the end of the week, pending certification and app store approvals.

As a current workaround, if you are using AGO, users should still be able to download the survey manually via the Download surveys menu if they are signed in. The link from Collector should then work normally if the survey is already downloaded in the app before selecting the link.

Alternatively, we have also uploaded new 3.6 Beta builds to the Early Adopter Community which include this fix. Please download the latest 3.6 Beta builds via EAC and/or Testflight. You can find the latest 3.6 Beta updates on EAC here.

Regards,

Phil.

DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hi, Phillip

Thank you for your response. We got to the office this morning to find this serious issue. We found that Survey123 Classic (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esri.survey123classic) does not have the issue, since it is a previous version of Survey123.

I tried the 3.6.69 version through Testflight but the issue persists. This means we're still stuck on iOS devices which do not offer a previous version of the app, and the beta doesn't seem to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Diego,

The hot fix (3.5.177) is now available via iOS and Google stores and will soon be available for download.  The 3.6 version with teh corresponding fix is 3.6.75, which is now available via TestFlight.

0 Kudos
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

We're experiencing this problem as well and it appears much worse.  We can't download ANY surveys even when opening the survey app first before using the primary app.  Version 3.5.176.  On-premise portal 10.7.  Survey forms and feature services are shared with on-premise portal using enterprise logins.  Downloads fail when using enterprise or arcgis logins including the primary portal admin account.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Fred, Diego and Kenneth,

An update to the iOS and Android app in the stores has just been released, the latest version is 3.5.177. This includes the fix for the issues mentioned above.

Please update your apps from the app stores with the latest versions and let us know if you have any further issues downloading surveys.

Phil.

FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Philip! So far so good. 

BillHeigh
Occasional Contributor

It's probably worth mentioning that if your URL to launch the Survey Form does not identify the Form, but for instance matches the Feature Layer instead (don't ask me how I know...), it will also behave this way, seemingly stuck while trying to download.

I've not found much documentation on this, but my experience tells me that the Form is what's needed to launch Survey123 from the Collector App, while the Feature Layer is what's needed to show the data on a map.

Cheers, Bill~