Why is Survey123 Report Template photo quality reduced?

08-04-2020 08:36 AM
RobCahalan1
New Contributor III

Hi, I have a Survey123 created in Survey123 Connect (v.3.9.120) with image size set to 1920 pixels. The data collected with the app is primarily captured with AppleiPad Air 2 but I have also collected data with a Samsung Galaxy S10e. The photos on the Survey123 website are good quality and high resolution but when I add the photos to a report template the photos appear to be degraded. In the report template I use the following to access the image: ${photoImg | size: 400:0 } 

Is this due to the compression type taking the 1920 pixels and reducing the size to 400 pixels? If so, is there a way to keep the quality while also compressing? We have clients that look at the PDF's we produce at approximately 200% and are requesting higher resolution images but also want to reduce the number of pages in the report. Is there a way to keep the resolution while still making the image smaller in the report? I know some developers have utilized various compression libraries to achieve this in their programs at the cost of processing time. Is that a limitation for Esri?

Sign from photo on Survey123 website:

Same photo in feature report when viewed at 200% in PDF. Notice the decreased resolution.

3 Replies
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi Rob, 

To display the original image at its full size and quality, use the getValue expression without any value:

${image1|getValue:""}. And for your case, you might want to try ${image1|getValue:""|size:400:0}. Hope this can solve your problem.

Thanks a lot!

Ruth

RobCahalan1
New Contributor III

Thanks Ruth...I will give this a try and let you know how it works out.

0 Kudos
StevenRowland
New Contributor

Rob,

Were you able to get this to work?

I used the expression suggested by Ruth but it is still reducing the quality of the image, as shown in the original post.

Thank you

0 Kudos