Why is does it say "Failed to submit" on webform only?

Jump to solution
09-13-2018 03:40 AM
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

My survey works fine in the Survey123 app (desktop and mobile) but will not submit in the web version. Have tried re-publishing but still doesn't work... Please help!

Link to webform: https://arcg.is/01bmOu

Survey123 for ArcGIS#webform#error: failed to submit

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Anneka's form appears to have been affected by the issue described at https://community.esri.com/thread/220717-issue-using-my-survey-in-browser-works-fine-in-survey123-ph... ; if your survey has a repeat in it, it could also be affected.  As noted in the other  conversation, a fix for this issue has been identified and the website will be updated as soon as practically possible.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
diegocarvalho
New Contributor III

Same issue here ! Please HELP

We are showcasing Survey123 to the partner of the company and running the webform in a real project with clients. In the first try to replace the former software (Sphynx) by Survey123 we face this....The company directors cannot submit their forms, that's really frustating.

The submittal is unstable, even all of them having normal internet connection, I could send forms through my mobile phone (accessing the webform via Chrome) and via computer, but my colleagues in other states and our clients cannot submit their answers.

No Error number is presented too:

Screenshot of the "Failed to submit" error

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Anneka's form appears to have been affected by the issue described at https://community.esri.com/thread/220717-issue-using-my-survey-in-browser-works-fine-in-survey123-ph... ; if your survey has a repeat in it, it could also be affected.  As noted in the other  conversation, a fix for this issue has been identified and the website will be updated as soon as practically possible.

Anneka_France

Does your form contain repeat fields (relational tables)? There seems to be an issue with repeats that is causing an error in the latest version of the webform..

Anneka France
0 Kudos
diegocarvalho
New Contributor III

Unfortunately that's not the case, my survey is a simple form with text, select_one and signature questions, nothing else.

Unfortunately I can't share the survey link publicly here, but can share with ESRI Staff via e-mail if possible. My client is really waiting for answer tomorrow morning with this solved.

0 Kudos
Anneka_France

If you can submit the form successfully yourself then perhaps it is an issue with the data they are entering into the form? Text fields are limited to 255 characters in Survey123 by default, so of if they are trying to submit longer pieces of text then it will fail to submit. You can override the default string length using the bind::esriFieldLength column in the .xls form 

Anneka France
diegocarvalho
New Contributor III

That's probably the reason! I tested with answers bigger than 255 char and coud reproduce the error. I'm now testing with a prototype survey trying to extend the text length to 1000 char. Fingers crossed

0 Kudos
AmyWright_Webber
New Contributor III

James Tedrick

Is there a timeframe for this fix? 

We are in a pickle ... we had a form that has been working in both the app and the web form (published in 2.7 originally) and needed to modify it to add an item to a dropdown list to the select one lists for the current storm.  There are photo attachments and repeats in this form.

When we republished, the web form now provides the "Failed to submit" error and is useless to the majority of our field crews.  They are limited to using the web form in the browser for the foreseeable future.

Any suggestions welcome - Thank you!

0 Kudos
Anneka_France

Did you update to the latest version of Survey123 connect before you re-published the form? If you were still using version 2.7, you can set the form to revert to the older version of the web app. See below:

If you published in an earlier version (before 3.0) then switching this setting off should stop the form from glitching.

If not I'm afraid you need to wait for them to fix the bug - this is in the product plan for the next update. Workaround from Esri: "Do not use the web version of Survey123 for ArcGIS to submit the surveys or use the ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers to submit the surveys through the web."

Hope that helps!

Anneka France
0 Kudos
AmyWright_Webber
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply Anneka! - I did try the button that you indicated but the small text below said it was not available till 2.8 and later.  Evidently this is not an option until a later version.  I am still searching for a better work around.  It is very frustrating to say the least but I have not given up yet.  I have several different trials going on but no luck so far.