Why is a conditionally skipped question that is required still generating a popping up keeping the form from being submitted and saying it is required?

11-11-2019 05:30 AM
KevinLambeth1
New Contributor III

I have a form with a required "What Other Types" text question that is conditionally displayed based on a previous select multiple question. The form is currently not letting the user submit the form unless they select other and type something in the text field.  I have tried making the field hidden and also setting relevant to "FALSE" but still see the same required field response.  Is this a new feature with the latest version of Survey123 or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin,

When you have a required question conditionally displayed based on a previous select multiple question, I believe that only impacts whether or not it appears, and it will still be required unless other parameters are set. We will have to make the "required" column conditional as well. See my example and additional documentation below for reference:

Form expressions—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Best,

Megan

KevinLambeth1
New Contributor III

Megan,

Is this a new update to Survey 123?  In the past, we have built surveys using the exact same relevant/required sections where the required field has only been relevant if the question was being displayed.  If it is new, will this affect older surveys immediately or only when it is updated?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Required should just be yes - no such thing as no here and no if statement needed.  Then if the relevant is hidden the required will not fire.  Try that.  Also make sure you are on the latest 123 version.

0 Kudos
KevinLambeth1
New Contributor III

Doug,

That is how we have always set things up in the past, but this new form behaves differently.  It was designed in Connect 3.7.37, so it should be the latest version and the issue pops up in multiple versions of Survey123.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well that is weird then.  Maybe 123 has an idea. 

You can try '' instead of no but it does not always work for me.  You could also try just the question=yes part.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Can you share the XLS file?

0 Kudos
KevinLambeth1
New Contributor III

Sure James and thank you for the help in advance.

The form TestForm that is attached is a cleaned version of the form that recreates the error we are saw.  The error popped up while editing a form to remove two conditional questions that weren't helpful during data collection.  While we were creating the cleaned version we found that simply setting the relevancy to FALSE and leaving the type as text seemed to fix the error. The error seems to stem from changing the question type to HIDDEN from the original text type.  We also attached a second version TestFormV2 that has the FALSE added to the Hidden type which doesn't fix the error either if it is helpful.

0 Kudos
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

Looking forward to hearing the resolution of this, since it will also impact essentially every production survey that I've authored. I do not believe this is the intended behavior?

James Tedrick 3.7.x is still in beta, correct?

0 Kudos
KevinLambeth1
New Contributor III

Rob,

I am on the Beta Version, but I believe the impact is isolated to Hidden fields.  I recreated the original form and the issue only appears when Hidden fields are added.

0 Kudos