Why are latitude and longitude values switched on my photos

10-29-2018 12:21 PM
NicholasDay
New Contributor III

Using the code Latitude: ${Photo_P | getValue:"y"} Longitude: ${Photo_P | getValue:"x"} I added latitude and longitude values on my report for the photos and noticed that the latitude value came back negative for a northern hemisphere photo. I checked the photo properties and noticed the longitude was a positive number; as the photo georeferences correctly, there must be some data referencing that it is a west or negative value. I also noticed that the values were switched when displaying them in Survey123.

Why does my latitude come back negative on the report?

Why are the values switched in Survey123? 

Values as they appear on the report

Values as they appear in Survey123 and the photo properties

Image showing the issue.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ElliottPlack1
New Contributor III

This is odd. It appears that the latitude value is flipped on your report. I can't see the direction on the photo properties. Latitude in the northern hemisphere is positive, while longitude in the western hemisphere is negative. To check myself, I searched Google for SLC latitude and got 40.7608° N, 111.8910° W or (40.7608, -111.8910).

The Survey123 website is wrong but in a different way. -109 latitude does not exist and 40 longitudes would put you in Europe. I replicated this issue on one of my own surveys with a photo from Baltimore, MD. Shot on an iPhone. The reported Lat/Long is in Antarctica.

Looks like a bug!

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nicholas, Elliott

Thank you for the feedback. I can confirm it's a bug and can be fixed in the next update after 3.1 release.   

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Zhifang, is there a planned date for the 3.1 update? I thought it was supposed to happen within October?

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike,

3.1 release has been available on 11/2 https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/11/02/st-kilda-penguin-release-31 . Please be noticed that this bug is raised so close to the 3.1 release so we can only fix it in "the next update after 3.1 release", which is a hotfix to 3.1 release and planned no later than early Dec.

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi all, 

The bug has been fixed with a small update to the website last week, coordinates in the image viewer and feature report should work as expected now.

Thanks again for all your feedbacks!