When I set the FieldType column to null, there is still a field created, it is just blank with no data.

08-23-2018 12:24 PM
BrandonA_CDPH
Occasional Contributor II

I saw a blog post recently on setting thebind::esri:fieldType to null.  My understanding is that this allows for questions that are on the survey, but not recorded to the database (in my case, it is a set of validation questions that tell whether or not to proceed). 

When I set the bind::esri:fieldType to null, it still creates a field in the responses collected by the form, except this field is always blank.  Is there a way to not have the field added at all, that way there will not be an extra column that is always blank?  I'm trying to line up to an existing data scheme and it's throwing things off. 

Thanks!

6 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brandon,

You are correct in your assumption that setting the bind::esri:fieldType to null should prevent the field from being created in the database, while allowing for it to be seen in the form.  Can you please share your XLSForm and provide details as to the field which is unexpectedly showing?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
BrandonA_CDPH

Hello Brandon -

Nice name!  🙂

Attached is a portion of the XLS Form document I am using.  I am trying to use the null feature for lines 3-6 (PrePack, Refrigerated, ShelfStable) and line 17-19 (PkgSizeOz, PkgNum, SampleSize6).  I want to use the first set as criteria to allow the user to continue the form.  The second set are collected to ensure a sufficient sample size.

Just as a note, I was using the "hidden" field type, then having the end user remove those columns before transferring to our other data scheme, but that is cumbersome and the data isn't really needed once the criteria are met.

Also, if anyone sees other improvements, please let me know. I'm fairly new to Survey123, so I am definitely open to suggestions.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brandon, nice name indeed!

After creating a survey based off of the attached XLSForm and submitting a few surveys using the field app, I do not see any of the fields that you've set to null in the resulting feature service.  Are you stating that the fields that you listed (PrePack, Refrigerated, ShelfStable, PkgSizeOz, PkgNum, SampleSize6) have been created?

If so, where are you viewing the data? (Survey123 website or ArcGIS Online)?

0 Kudos
BrandonA_CDPH

Yes, they are created and visible both on Survey123 site and ArcGIS Online portal.  When I download the Excel table, they are also there with no data in any of the rows.  Here's a screen shot of the fields that should be missing from the feature service Screen shot of backend XLS form spreadsheet with null fields highlighted.and one of the results when I submit an entry as viewed from Survey123 website.

Screen shot of Survey123 Results as viewed on teh Survey123 website

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brandon,

I am still not able to see these fields after creating the survey from the attached XLSForm using Survey123 Connect 3.0.142 and Survey123 Field App 3.0.149.  Please try to reproduce this behavior by publishing the same XLSForm from scratch and submitting with the Field App.  Let me know what you see after trying this.

BrandonA_CDPH

That seems to have solved the problem. Had to copy and paste the XLSForm into a brand new form and start all over. Thank you.