When I publish a Survey to my portal I do not see the media folder in the portal folder associated with my survey

09-24-2019 02:15 PM
PaulMcChesney
New Contributor II

I just see the form and the feature layer.

I am getting an error that several of my my external instances are empty. That data resides in the itemsets.csv in the media folder. Shouldn't the media folder also be published somewhere in my portal?

Using Connect version 3.5.166, Portal Version 10.7

Thanks, Paul

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

Actually the Form item is a zip file that includes all the related information to the survey form item, which includes the media folder. When the survey is download to a device in Connect or field app, the form item is extracted, and this is where you will see the media folder. It is not visible in AGO or Portal when browsing your content folders.

Could you provide more information (screenshots) on the error you are getting? Are you able to share the xlsx form and any external media (csv, images etc) that are related to the survey?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
PaulMcChesney
New Contributor II

Thanks Phil, I have a test form that is giving me the following error (TestError.PNG) When I try to input data into the form on our Test Portal

Failed to load data from

Failed to load data from

External instance "linename" is empty.

External instance "location" is empty.

However the same form, published in the same manner, from Survey 123 Connect works perfectly fine in the AGOL environment.

It seems like the published form on the test portal is not correctly reading the external choices tab (itemsets.csv) when published to our test portal.

Thanks for your help,

Paul

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

It looks like you have duplicate values in your choice list, which isn't allowed as it can cause issues in some processing operations.  As it looks like your values are displayed with at most 2 lines, you can solve this by adding a second column for the choice_list to use in evaluating a choice:

You would then change the choice filter to check both values and return true if 1 met the criteria:

cascade1 = ${linename} or cascade2 = ${linename}

PaulMcChesney
New Contributor II

Thanks James!   I will adjust the form and test again, and report back,  I hope that will fix the issue for us.  I have a feeling that it will work.     We have tested the form as posted in AGO and it seems to work correctly, does that mean that duplicate values are allowed in AGO?   I just wondered if there was a settings difference or something else I was missing on our portal in addition to the duplicate values listed above.

Thanks again,  Paul

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

Duplicate values in general should not be allowed, though the field app is more forgiving of this than the web form.

0 Kudos
WhitneyWeber
Occasional Contributor

I am having a similar problem - survey works in app but not in the web form with same External Instance is empty error, however, my choice_filter should get around the duplicates, so I don't understand how to resolve this. Any insight would be much appreciated as I'm trying to edit survey records in a web form and hence, it needs to work in the web form!

0 Kudos