Webmap in OSGB not displaying as basemap in Survey123

01-12-2021 10:02 AM
CherylWheeler11
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to include a basemap in my basemap gallery in Survey 123 that is in British National Grid. I have set it up in the basemap group, linked the map to the form etc, and the webmap lists amongst the basemap gallery but it does not display. 

Simple question.... does Survey123 support webmaps in OSGB coordinate system? If so, any ideas why mine may not be showing up?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @CherylWheeler11,

Survey123 only support basemaps and webmaps in the default Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere projection. 

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
CherylWheeler11
New Contributor III

Thanks Phil. Can you tell me if Field Maps/Collector are the same? Is there any field app (for the purpose of defining a polygon on a map) which can utilize webmaps in OSGB?

Again, thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @CherylWheeler11,

Off the top of my head, sorry I am not sure if Field Maps/Collector can use OSGB, you woudl be best to reach out to those teams via GeoNet or Support.

Regards,

Phil.

CherylWheeler11
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just to follow up on this....we now have our Mastermap data in Web Mercator shared with Organisation, however, unless I share it 'Publicly' I cannot see this basemap in Survey123. I can see the other layers in the webmap, but not the basemap. Any suggestions? (We are unable to share the basemap publicly BTW)

Thank you

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@CherylWheeler11 just so you're aware, you can totally use OSGB (EPSG:27700) as a coordinate system in Field Maps and Collector. I do all the time. The default transformation for your web map between your GNSS position and OSGB is usually OSGB_1936_To_WGS_1984_7. I don't believe Field Maps currently supports OSTN15, but might be worth checking.

The important thing is you need to create a custom tiling schema and then cache your basemap data in Pro using that tiling schema. If you select the Web mercator default schema, Pro will default your CRS to Web mercator and reproject at the point of publishing.

As for your basemap not appearing in S123, my only guess is that you have a publicly authored survey FC and a secure basemap service? Or are you sharing to a group that's shared publicly? or in an organisation collaboration?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @CherylWheeler11,

What basemap are you using and what is its source location (is it a custom basemap or a public one)?

You should not need to share the web map and basemap publicly if the users that are signed into the field app have permissions to access all the layers and data in the web map and the basemap, via a group that it is shared with, same as the survey Form item and Feature service.

Can the same users see the basemap with same login via other apps or map viewer etc if they use the same login?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
CherylWheeler11
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User @David_Brooks 

Thanks both for your comments. 

Problem solved! (well partially) Having realised that the map was visible on the Survey123 website (in the record details on the right hand side), it got me thinking.

Basically, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Survey123 app on my mobile device and hey presto!😁

However, on the app, the map will not zoom in to the required scale. I have labels set up in the webmap for a specific zoom level and the basemap etc is visible within the webmap when I am zoomed in to view the labels, but in the app I cannot zoom in enough for the labels to appear. 

Thanks again for your comments.

@David_Brooks Unfortunately FieldMaps does not provide some of the functionality we require from S123 (report generation, MS Flow webhooks etc) so for the time being we are sticking with S123. (I am aware I could have used Fieldmaps for the geoshape question, but for the moment we are using S123)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @CherylWheeler11,

Glad you got the map working, sounds as though something was cached that stopped the map loading correctly.

With regards to the zoom level issue, it sounds as if one of the layers has a min/max zoom level applied, which is then limiting the zoom level of the web map when using in Survey123, as we honour the zoom level limits set.

Can you try to press and hold for a few seconds on the basemap chooser icon in the map question (blue square), this will add a 3-dot menu to the bottom of the option panel (green square). Select this button and a pop-up will appear. Select the scale bar and zoom level options (orange rectangle). You will now see the scale and zoom displayed on the map (blue screen), and also you can use the text box at bottom of this pop-up to manually set the exact zoom level.

This will help work out exactly what zoom level is being set as the min/max in the map display. From there you will need to check the info of the basemap, and every layer added to the web map, to see if they have any min/max zoom level set, as one of them should match what you are seeing in the map. Once those min/max zoom levels are updated, the map in Survey123 should be able to zoom in and out to those limits.

PhilipWilson_0-1632390711680.png

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
CherylWheeler11
New Contributor III

Thanks @Anonymous User - that is exactly the problem. It works perfectly when using Map Viewer Classic, however, when I try to do exactly the same in the New Map Viewer, the option to extend the visible range is not editable. See images below. This is the same map opened in the two map viewers. As you can see, I lose my line symbology in the Classic Map Viewer.

CherylWheeler11_0-1632394715965.png

CherylWheeler11_1-1632394890695.png

Vey odd!

The map with no symbology loads perfectly into S123. So your suggestion solved that thank you, but I need my line symbology, and need to be able to use New Map Viewer.

Any further comments hugely appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos