Webform "Failed to Submit" after April 13, 2021 AGOL Update

04-19-2021 12:00 PM
TylerBragg2
Occasional Contributor II

I have a survey that was created within the last month using Survey123 Connect 3.11.123 and built from an existing feature layer.  I'm actually running app integration in Workforce to launch this survey directly from the Workforce app into the Survey123 webform.  I had everything working and was not experiencing any issues until the April 13, 2021 update of ArcGIS Online.  Since that update, upon attempting to submit a survey from a mobile device I receive an error at the top of the screen that simply says "Failed to submit."  No further explanation, just that.  I've researched this issue and found several different cases of people with a similar problem, all of which I've checked my situation for comparable solutions and have come up with no explanation.  I'm sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking, but I can't seem to nail it down.  

While I hesitate to provide any unnecessary information, I should note that the feature layer upon which this survey was built is the Workforce Assignments layer from my Workforce project.  I'm using the survey to collect additional attribute information for each assignment, so the survey is being opened in "edit mode" so as to edit an existing feature rather than create a new one, passing the GlobalID to the survey via URL parameters to identify the feature to be edited.  This procedure was validated through another thread found here.  It is stretching the "out of the box" functionality of the app integration between these two apps, but it was confirmed by ESRI that it will work, and IT WAS working, before this new update to AGOL.  The survey opens up just fine when you open it from the Workforce app, and I can populate the survey questions normally, it just won't allow me to submit.  

I've attached the xlsform for my survey.  I'm hoping there is some simple problem that I'm overlooking, but with the vague error message I'm getting, I'm not certain where to look.  Maybe someone can spot my issue.  

Let me know if I need to provide any additional information.  Also, this is not a public survey, so sharing the link won't do any good (It's also not designed to open up separately from Workforce, since it's editing an existing feature and must have the GlobalID passed from Workforce using URL parameters.)  

0 Kudos
22 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@TylerBragg2 the Survey123 url looks correct to me, but someone from the Survey123 team would need to comment on it.  I don't see anything in the installs we made for the April release that would explain what you're seeing - especially the scenario that it fails and then works if you open it the second time.

Can you capture a HAR file for this?  I might have some time to take a look at and see if I can find anything.  You can send it to ArcGISWorkforce@esri.com.

Craig

0 Kudos
TylerBragg2

@CraigGillgrass How exactly would I capture that HAR, since I'm interacting with my mobile to AGOL and it's not running through my desktop?  

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@TylerBragg2ah, missed that piece. You're going to have to capture the network traffic.  At this point Tyler, I believe the best course of action on this is to contact Support to work with you on the issue.

0 Kudos
TylerBragg2

@CraigGillgrass  ok, thanks.  I'll do that.  If we come to a resolution, I'll make it a point to report back here for closure on this issue.  

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Feel free to tell them we've been talking on the forum and I directed you to contact them - it may help speed things up and get it to us or the Survey123 team faster; if Support cannot diagnose the issue.

0 Kudos
TylerBragg2

Will do Craig.  Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
DanteLee

@TylerBragg2- have you worked out a solution? I'm in a similar boat with one of my S123 forms, but it's not Workforce related. It was created and working up until recently.

The odd thing is the data ends up coming through on the feature service, despite the "Failed to submit" error. I've also made a copy of the survey, and that copy works fine, so I can't say it's an issue with the form.

0 Kudos
TylerBragg2

@DanteLee - I still have an open case with ESRI Tech Support and we have not come to a conclusion yet.  I'll post when we come up with something. 

0 Kudos
SunnyCorrao
New Contributor

This seems to be the same issue I am facing. I will be interested to hear how it resolves.

My form was created through Survey123 website. When users go to the form and push submit, they are getting the "failed to submit" error across top of screen. Waiting a couple of minutes and pushing submit again, I have gotten the submission to go through.

0 Kudos
TylerBragg2

@SunnyCorrao the case is still open with ESRI Support Services.  It's been frustratingly slow and fruitless thus far.  Nobody can seem to figure out the issue.  My last update was on 7/8/21 via email from the technician working on the case.  Here is what he said - "After collaborating with our internal resources, we have determined that this "Failed to Submit" behavior is a defect. I am currently logging this defect and will send the information to our development team. I will reach out soon with more information on the defect and steps for following its progress." 

I have no idea where we go from here or what the process is to fix a "defect."  But I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  I would have thought the behavior would be fairly easy to trace from their end, but evidently not.  

Tyler

0 Kudos