Voice to text disabled in Survey123 but enabled in Field Maps

Jump to solution
05-18-2021 09:50 AM
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

We have Survey123 running on Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 tablets. Survey123 has permission to use the microphone, but the dictation option is disabled when filling out a survey. See the attached screenshot. If I open FieldMaps on the same device, the dictation option is enabled and works great.

Does anyone know of other settings to check to enable dictation in Survey123? 

Screenshot_20210517-162815_Survey123.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Strahanjen,

Further to my reply above, this issue appears to be related to predictive text on Android. By default, on Android, predictive text is off, but you can turn it on for text questions using the appearance. When it is on, the Samsung keyboard will enable the microphone. Please refer to: 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformsappearance.htm#GUID-687AC1A3-E779...

I am following up with the developers and the use of this in the underlying Qt framework to understand why this is the case, as the predictive text status shouldn't affect the ability to use microphone and text transcription.

The best workaround for now is to enable predictive text on all your text inputs. Or use a different keyboard such as Swiftkey or Gboard.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Strahanjen,

What version of Android are you using on this device? And can you confirm what keyboard you are using, is it the default keyboard that comes on Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3? Have you tried other keyboards on the same device with any luck (install from Play store)?

There is no way to manually enable or disable the microphone, it is currently being controlled by the OS and app, depending on the type of keyboard layout being requested. Need to look into this further to understand why it is disabled on this device?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Strahanjen,

Further to my reply above, this issue appears to be related to predictive text on Android. By default, on Android, predictive text is off, but you can turn it on for text questions using the appearance. When it is on, the Samsung keyboard will enable the microphone. Please refer to: 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformsappearance.htm#GUID-687AC1A3-E779...

I am following up with the developers and the use of this in the underlying Qt framework to understand why this is the case, as the predictive text status shouldn't affect the ability to use microphone and text transcription.

The best workaround for now is to enable predictive text on all your text inputs. Or use a different keyboard such as Swiftkey or Gboard.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

Phil,

Thanks for the recommendation. Enabling predictive text solved the issue for us. 

Best,

Jennifer