Using pulldata to populate a text field from select_multiple?

11-17-2020 09:20 PM
MichelleTanner
New Contributor III

Is it possible to use the pulldata() function from a select_multiple question type? 

What I am trying to do: 

I have a normal select_multiple question. If the user selects something in that question, I want certain text to appear below. I am using an external csv lookup file in the Media folder because these lookup tables can get pretty lengthy. If the user selects multiple options, I want all the options in the lookup table to appear. 

However, I cannot seem to get the question to display any text! When I change my first question type to select_one it works just fine. Am I missing something in my syntax? I've included screenshots below if that helps. 

pulldata('Findings_Citations_Lookup','Citation','FindingCode',${SS2_f})

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately, the pulldata() function can't be used to populate the values of select_multiple questions.

Please see the Note in our Online Help for this limitation:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformformulas.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_CF492D3...

0 Kudos
MichelleTanner
New Contributor III

Shwu-jingJeng,

I believe my request is actually the opposite. I want to use a select_multiple to populate a text field using the pulldata() function. Does that make sense? I've attached a screenshot of the relevant section in my xls form for more context. 

Screenshot 2020-11-18 172601.png

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle,

Could you share your XLSForm and the associated csv file with us to look into this further?

You could mail it to my email sjeng@esri.com if you prefer not to share it publicly.

m3
by
Occasional Contributor

How and why is this marked as the solution?

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

In Michelle's case, we had helpped her with some report template syntax error to close this issue.

What issue did you encounter?

0 Kudos
m3
by
Occasional Contributor

I mostly gave up on it but you should not have a private answer marked as a solution as it provides no solution to anyone other than the OP.  Or the answer should be posted publicly.