Using or_other to select from list and if not listed user inputs info to populate table.

06-13-2018 08:02 AM
ChrisYoung4
New Contributor II

I'm trying to get survery123 to let me choose from a drop down list and if the item is not listed then the use can input information to fill the attribute in the table of an existing feature layer hosted on ARGOL.

this is what my table looks like as well as the error i'm getting:

i'm using the or_other on the survey Tab

my choices tab looks like this 

now the desktop application for survery123 works fine and displays exactly how I want it too, the problem arises when I try to upload the survery to ARGOL.

Now I know  that the or_other is causing this since I can remove it and it works just fine.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

It appears that you may have created your survey based off of an existing feature service. As the message reflects, the field does not currently exist in the feature service being referenced by Survey123 Connect and therefore does not have a place in the schema to write the values that would be collected.

In order to resolve this error, please try to manually add the field to the feature service using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Pro. 

The name of the field that you will want to add is 'burrow_species_other' so that the schema will already be present in the service that you are looking to create a survey from.

Once you have added this field to the feature service, please try to publish your XLSForm again using Survey123 Connect.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung4
New Contributor II

same issue.

updated and imported the feature layer from portal.

Line 14 from the photo above has now created a new category in the form.

to clarify/reiterate I'm trying to get the user to select from a list and if its not in the list to manually enter a name which will populate a new row in the attribute table of the species category(row 12 from the first photo) and then add to the same species list for the next survey.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Try to remove row 14 from the XLSForm and publish again.  The idea was to add the field to the feature service so that it will act as a placeholder for you 'select_one_burrow_species or_other' question.

There should not be a need to have the 'burrow_species_other' question in the XLSForm/survey.  You don't need to create 

Please try to remove this question, republish, and let me know your results.

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung4
New Contributor II

ok line 14 removed:

Choices tab

Survery123 connect is displaying properly but upload results the same

I was able to get it to publish but doing it like this.

but the result was this

and I need the Killdeer to be under Species and not in its own column

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

I have sent you a personal message via GeoNet.  We might benefit from having a quick discussion regarding the methodology of this approach.  

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
ChrisYoung4
New Contributor II

Brandon,

ive emailed you with my information thanks again.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

As we found while speaking over the phone, the resolution was to add a field called 'Species_other' to your feature service, and then republish your survey using Survey123 Connect. After downloading the published survey to the field app and submitting a survey, we observed that the values were written appropriately into the 'Species_other' field.  We discussed performing a post submission field calculation on the data to transfer the values to the desired 'Species' field.

Please continue utilizing GeoNet and Technical Support if you have any further questions!

Best Regards,

Brandon

mikAMD
by
Occasional Contributor II

so from what I understand, after the survey has been submitted with a new value (in this case species), you have to calculate the field to add this new value to the table. how does one automate this process with either arcgis survey123 connect or arcgis online?

thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

just my $0.02 on this - it's annoying (and should be unnecessary) to have to add the "_other" field to the feature service.  I understand it's need if it was a domain-controlled field, but if it's just text - the main field should be filled with the "other" value as opposed to having to fill another field and calculate it over.