Using GPS data to limit the drop-down list

11-19-2019 08:58 AM
KerryKang1
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

Is it possible to control drop-down item list based on the current GPS location?

For example, there is a park inspection form that requires to enter both park name and the GPS location. Instead of select park from the long drop-down list, I'd like to minimize the list of park names based on the GPS location detected. Ideally, it may bring up the exact park where the inspector is.

So the GPS location need to be interacted with park polygon layer. and even this needs to be done in offline environment as many parks are in back country. 

If the method above is not feasible, can I make park name auto-filled based on GPS after the survey is submitted?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kerry,

No, it is not currently possible to dynamically filter the choice list (select one or select multiple drop down) based on GPS location.

It is possible to return a single result from a CSV via pulldata() using GPS location as demonstrated in this post Calculating distances between multiple Geo-Points in a survey with the Haversine Formula, however that same logic can not be applied to a choice list using the choice filter option. You may be able to use the x and y from the GPS location to pass into a CSV via pulldata() and return a single value that meets those coordinates if that works for you.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
KerryKang1
New Contributor II

Hi Philip, Thank you for your comment.I will check the post you mentioned. By the way, is 'dynamic-filter choice list' part of Esri's future enhancement plan?

Regards, 

Kerry

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kerry,

This enhancement is something we have in our backlog but is not currently in our development plan. If this is something you would like to see as a future enhancement in Survey123, I would suggest you raise it as an enhancement with Esri support, so we can prioritise and understand the request and attach your account to the internal development issue. This helps prioritise and understand user demand for such as enhancement.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Ann-SophieSølund
New Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User, I can see that this thread is from 2019, and I was wondering if this feature is possible in the current version of Survey123 (possibly in Survery123 Connect)?

Best regards,

Ann-Sophie Sølund

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Ann-SophieSølund,

In the recent 3.13 release of Survey123 Connect and field app there have been many improvements to dynamic choice lists, mostly around linked content and the search() appearance. I believe the search() appearance may be able to do what the original post was requesting. 

Please check out this great blog post by @BrettStokes :

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/dynamic-choice-lists-using-search-appearance/ba-...

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos