Using a variable for form_title

Jump to solution
07-19-2021 04:15 AM
lightpro
New Contributor III

Is is possible to use a variable for the form_title in Survey123 Connect? I'd like the form title to display an job id instead of a static title (e.g. ${jobid}). Entering this in the form_title column on the settings tab however just displays this as text in the app (i.e. I just see ${jobid} in the titlebar as a string without actually being replaced by the field value).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @lightpro and all,

It's possible to make the form title dynamic using a special note question named generated_note_form_title. Please see this documentation for more details.

JimMoore_0-1626741948338.png

If you've got a generated_note_form_title in your survey, the form_title on the settings worksheet is ignored.

We're working on enhancing the documentation for the next release, including a blog post on Esri Community.

There are several generated_note_ question names you can use to configure other UI elements, such as the submit button and the footer (note that form title is the only one supported in the field app; the others are supported in the web app). It's also possible to provide translations for generated_note_ questions (just like you would with any other question type. For more info, see this blog post.

Best, Jim

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AllisonHollier
New Contributor III

So you're want that to display on the tablet for collection, or are you wanting it to print out with the absolute value for jobid?  My survey has a static title, but my instance has the ${jobid}.  Or are you really wanting it to appear at the top of your survey as the title?  I've never seen that done... I'll be following.

0 Kudos
lightpro
New Contributor III

I'm wanting to appear at the top of the form as the form title. For example:

lightpro_0-1626704624162.png

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you want to label the name in the out and in box you use the instance_name column for that.  The form title is what shows when downloading the form, etc before anything is being collected.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
lightpro
New Contributor III

Yes, thanks, I'd like it displayed at the top of the form (see example I just posted to another user's comment) however so that the user can reference it. I know I could also put it as a text field in the form but it would be nice to have it as the title so that it doesn't take up space and clutter the form.

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @lightpro and all,

It's possible to make the form title dynamic using a special note question named generated_note_form_title. Please see this documentation for more details.

JimMoore_0-1626741948338.png

If you've got a generated_note_form_title in your survey, the form_title on the settings worksheet is ignored.

We're working on enhancing the documentation for the next release, including a blog post on Esri Community.

There are several generated_note_ question names you can use to configure other UI elements, such as the submit button and the footer (note that form title is the only one supported in the field app; the others are supported in the web app). It's also possible to provide translations for generated_note_ questions (just like you would with any other question type. For more info, see this blog post.

Best, Jim

lightpro
New Contributor III

Awesome @Jim-Moore. That worked a treat! Very helpful thanks!