Using a large tpk file as an offline basemap

12-03-2018 01:17 PM
NoeliaVolpe
New Contributor II

Hi!
I am trying to generate a basemap for my survey  (a satellite image of my study area) that can be used while being offline. I created the corresponding tpk file, using the Tile Package Kreator app, but when I try to load it in my mobile app, I can't. I think it might be because it is a large file (44mb) and I read in this thread https://community.esri.com/thread/127722 that Collector has a file size limit of 5MB. I'm guessing it is the same for Survey123. This is supported by the fact that I am in fact able to load small tpk files.
I was wondering if there is any way of either: a) making a large file work or b) subdividing a large tpk file into smaller ones that can effectively be loaded.
Thanks,

Noelia

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Noelia,

The documentation for Survey123 doesn't mention a tile package size limit of 5MB that I can find: 

Prepare basemaps for offline use—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

It actually mentions a 2GB limit.

The above documentation mentions a few different ways to associate a .tpk with a survey. Are you using any of those methods? If not, how are you associating the .tpk with the survey?

0 Kudos
NoeliaVolpe
New Contributor II

Hi Lauren!

Thanks for your reply. You are right about the limit not being 5mb, I was just able to get a 6mb file to work, but the 44mb is still not working .I am copying the file directly into my device; I didn't realize about the other options. I will try the Sharing option to see if that works!

0 Kudos