User not able to submit photo with Survey123 submission

Jump to solution
10-15-2019 10:21 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey, 

I have a user who has reported that when they try to add a photo to a survey form, the camera page opens, but never finishes loading. They have sent me this screenshot of the screen that opens when they click the camera icon within the survey:

They open the camera directly from Survey123, and it sits in this fashion with that icon in the centre spinning indefinitely.

I have confirmed their camera does indeed work if they were to just use the native iPhone app, it works fine as a standalone camera. 

I have also used the same users phone to try to attach a photo which was taken using the native iphone app, and use the browse button, select the photo from camera roll, and this is the end result:

you can see that the photo is referenced, but there is no preview of any photo within the survey123 form, but there is a preview when scrolling through the camera roll. When this form is submitted, once again it can be found on the server sans photo, all other form information is submitted no worries.

I have tried taking photos in both HEIC format, and JPEG, this has no effect. 

I have tried using my own iphone 7 (same model as the other user) and mine works fine, no issues at all. Also tested on Android Phone

I then created a brand new survey123 survey with a single item, this is a camera item, and the exact same issue happens for this one user, and not to me, so it does not seem to be survey specific, but very phone specific.

Has anyone come across this, and possibly found a solution?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenVan_Kesteren1

Issue had sorted itself out after some time. Unsure of the fix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

What model iPhone is it and what exact version of iOS does it have installed?

It sounds like either a hardware or software issue on this device only, as we have not seen issues like this on iPhones previously.

Phil.

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

Hey, 

Its an iPhone 7, and has IOS 12.4.1 installed

Survey123 v3.6.155 (framework 4.0.93)

Cheers

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

Issue had sorted itself out after some time. Unsure of the fix.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi,

We are experiencing the same issue in Survey123 in trying to collect a photo using an iPad or actually two different iPads (different models but both experiencing the same issue). When we click on the camera icon it opens, but is black and just spins same as the image at the top of the post. It does allow us to go back to the survey and doesn't crash? I can however upload a photo from the iPad.

The survey data populates a related table that does have attachments enabled. I have the question type as image in the XLSForm. Are there any other fields I need to modify in the form?

I'm not sure what else to check?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kathy

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kathy. I believe the best option here is for you to open an Esri Technical Support case so an analyst can work with you and diagnose the problem.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thanks Ismael Chivite‌!

I will submit a support case to review the issue.

Thank-you,

Kathy

0 Kudos