Update survey using existing feature service

07-07-2017 01:33 PM
BrianHiller
Occasional Contributor

When trying to publish an update to a survey that is connected to an existing feature service using the submission_URL setting, I am now getting an error from Survey123 Connect that says the Feature service information is unavailable.

Has something changed with the most recent update to ArcGIS Online that prevents using an existing feature service with Survey123 as before? Here is the error message that I receive.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

This appears to very particular to your survey & feature service - you may want to double-check that the feature service exists and is visible from the account that published the survey.  I would also go to the item details page of your form item- it should show a link to the feature service URL.  Is there anything else about the history of this service/form that could be unique?

0 Kudos
JohnWatson_EBA
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JamesTedrick - I actually just came across this as well, and I can confirm the service does exist and is visible from the same account that published the survey. I am trying to use a feature layer I created in AGOL from a published feature service in Portal (that is tied to an sde FC), but the survey won't publish. If I create a new feature layer in AGOL using the same fields from the feature service, then I can successfully republish the survey using the submission url to that layer. What gives?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi @JohnWatson_EBA ,

Can you provide more details on the publishing setup?  The feature layer is in AGOL?  If so, what is the sharing setting on it?  In general, Survey123 expects the feature service to reside on the same ArcGIS Enterprise as the form. There is a way around this, which is documented as they work-around to support stand-alone ArcGIS Server services.

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JamesTedrick 

I have a very similar issue that I'm still unable to resolve despite following the work around you suggest above. Here's my setup:

• FeatureService1 in AGOL, shared only Org wide.
  • FeatureView1 is a view of the above Feature Service, with certain sensitive fields omitted, shared publicly. 
  • Public facing Survey hosted in AGOL. This uses FeatureView1 via a submission URL. 
  • FeatureService1 is then brought back into Enterprise using embedded credentials. Let's call this FeatureService2.

Presently we edit FeatureService2 via a WAB and it behaves like a perfectly normal service. But we want to make a Survey within Enterprise that allows for edits to FeatureService2 instead. However:

1. When I try to make a new survey in Enterprise using FeatureService2 Survey123 Connect never actually makes it, it just spins forever.
  2. If I make a blank survey and then attempt to manually set the submission URL to FeatureService2 I get this:

ahargreaves_FW_0-1673290285185.png

FeatureService2 operates as a perfectly normal feature service with regard to all other aspects of the Enterprise; I can add it into maps, I can edit via a WAB app etc. Therefore why can I not create a survey within Enterprise that writes back to this Feature Service (which is really an AGOL Feature Service accessed via embedded credentials)?

0 Kudos
JohnWatson_EBA
Occasional Contributor

Sure. I created the survey from scratch in Connect, v3.12.232, published it up to AGOL as a hosted feature layer. Submitted a survey and downloaded the layer as a fGDB locally, then exported the FC to the client's .sde database. Used ArcMap to then publish the .sde FC as a service in Portal. Created a feature layer item in AGOL pointing to the feature service in Portal and attempted to use that item ID in the survey to republish.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi @JohnWatson_EBA ,

What is the sharing of the service that was published to ArcGIS Enterprise?  If it is shared to everyone, it needs to be secured.  The feature layer item in AGOL referencing it would need to embed credentials to access it.  Otherwise, Survey123 will attempt to communicate with the feature service directly, which is in a different identity management; this will result in invalid tokens being sent to the feature service.

0 Kudos
JohnWatson_EBA
Occasional Contributor

It is only shared with the org. So when I created the feature layer in AGOL from the service in Portal, I embedded the credentials on that layer. The service in Portal is shared with the org and the survey items and the feature layer are all shared with the AGOL org as well.

0 Kudos