Turn off location capture in Survey123

01-25-2022 10:42 AM
chambersj
New Contributor II

Is there a way to turn off or not have to use location capturing in Survey123?

Most of my surveys capture the location information from an existing point on a map.

Not having to use the location services on the mobile phone may extend the battery life.

If there is not a current way to turn off location capturing, can it be considered?

Thank You

Jewell Chambers

5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

I am not sure it will make a big difference in terms of battery life, but you can try disabling Survey123 access to location services in your device. I wonder if you can measure any difference.

0 Kudos
chambersj
New Contributor II

Ismael,

I had thought of that and it can be used that way, but you get this annoying error that you have to cancel every time you start to fill out a survey form.

chambersj_0-1643661739078.png

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

I'd also like to know if there is a way to stop the Survey123 app from attempting to get the location and not bring up that box.

0 Kudos
AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

I want people to enter a location on a map - not the location of their device. Is there a way to disable the device location button? They easily get confused, or enter the device location after their went through the trouble of entering the info on the map....

0 Kudos
ChrisShuck
New Contributor III

We are also experiencing this type of user error.

I could only come up with a workaround, which is to have the user enter Lat and Long into separate text boxes, then have those fields populate a read-only geopoint with a concat() formula.

However, this workaround takes away the convenience of using the map from those users that do know how to use the map properly. We'd rather turn off location services within this particular survey (not for the whole app though).

ChrisShuck_0-1688069967819.png

ChrisShuck_1-1688070065261.png

ChrisShuck_2-1688070112101.png

0 Kudos