Select to view content in your preferred language

Trying to enter a long list of options

Jump to solution
01-29-2024 05:47 AM
KaraGrady
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to enter as a dropdown a list of over 2,000 possible answers. However, whenever I do this Survery123 freezes on me. I've tried also pulling it out of a layer in Field Maps (even making the layer public), but have had no success. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it, the internet has been no help at all.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you using external choice lists? (either through a hosted layer or through a CSV in the media folder?)

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-external-choice/ba...

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

If you want to query a feature layer for a dropdown list I'd suggest using the autocomplete appearance with search(), otherwise when it tries to load ALL of the options at once it will freeze up for sure.

The other thing I'd say to keep in mind is the maxRecordCount attribute on your feature layer, as the default is 2000 this means the list will only pull the first 2000 rows in the layer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you using external choice lists? (either through a hosted layer or through a CSV in the media folder?)

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-external-choice/ba...

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
KaraGrady
Occasional Contributor

I was trying to use a hosted layer but it wasn't working. I'm not sure how to do the CSV through a media folder, does that link contain steps for it?

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

If you want to query a feature layer for a dropdown list I'd suggest using the autocomplete appearance with search(), otherwise when it tries to load ALL of the options at once it will freeze up for sure.

The other thing I'd say to keep in mind is the maxRecordCount attribute on your feature layer, as the default is 2000 this means the list will only pull the first 2000 rows in the layer.

0 Kudos