Too much Metadata could be a bad thing!

02-19-2019 12:31 PM
RogerFarmer1
Occasional Contributor

If you are surveying from a small screen, the metadata squeezes out the 'Collect' button!

Cannot scroll to the Collect button

This is a case of too much metadata is a bad thing!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Never thought I'd agree with that statement, but yes in this case, good point! 

Is it possible to make some of that text available through a hyperlink? 

The other idea that occurs to me is to make that text part of the "Alpine Energy" graphic, which would give you more control over the font size.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
PhilipQueen
Occasional Contributor

In addition to what Jay Johnson‌ said above, it could be a good idea to move some of that guidance into the survey. You could insert a note at the top of your survey with the text of the last sentence, which is mainly information for filling out the survey correctly, not information about the survey. If it's very important, you could even force the user to click a "I've read and understood the text above" button before proceeding to the rest of the survey. This may be a case where documentation should be done in a separate document alongside the metadata.

It does look like a bug in the Survey123 app though!

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Roger,

What is the phone that you are using when encountering this behavior, and what version of the field app?

Thanks,

Brandon

0 Kudos
RogerFarmer1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brandon Armstrong

Phone App is 3.2.265

Phone is Samsung Galaxy J2 (SM-J200Y)

Not the latest and greatest, but it was my own device that I grabbed and downloaded the app and survey for a meeting with engineers to discuss the pre-field test vesion of the HV asset change form. They'll eventually enter the field app data on Galaxy Tab S3 and S4 models. So this isn't a deal breaker for us, but I thought I'd mention it for the community, in case others wanted to deploy on such a device. However, this device does work well with another emergency incident reporting survey which is short and sweet.

Thanks,

Roger.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you sharing your experience, Roger.  It appears that that particular device has a screen resolution of 540 x 960, which may be a variable in the behavior.  We recommend a screen resolution of 1024 x 768, as outlined here System requirements—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Having said that, I will make a note of the issue you are encountering in our internal backlog.  I think there were some great suggestions by others, above, and even if left as is, the display of the description should significantly improve when viewed with the Galaxy Tab's which are much larger devices with 2048 x 1536 resolution.

Best,

Brandon