The existing data service is not compatible with the survey

03-28-2018 11:05 AM
AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James Tedrick‌, Ismael Chivite‌,

I have created a survey and published it in order to create the associated Feature Service. However, after making some edits to the XLS used to create the Survey and attempting to republish I am told "The existing data service is not compatible with the survey" as a field length is too short. However:

1. I never edited this field so am confused why its changed length.
  2. If I look at the FS URL it's the same length as shown in the schema preview and error message.
  3. Even if I republish the survey (losing all data) then attempt to immediately republish again I get the same error.

Please can I ask for some advice on how to overcome this issue? My only solution presently is export data, republish, lose the FS and all data, append existing data to new FS and update the URLs of webmaps.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Andrew,

Hopefully you found a answer that worked for you by now. The method Dariush Ameli suggested should also work (create a copy w/ different name, then delete the original). I believe what James was referring to was the issue with esri field length being fixed in the next version.

Don't worry about deleting the file I suggested if you haven't tried to yet. You wont break anything. The ITEMINFO file will be recreated each time you publish or even open and save any change to your excel file. It needs to be deleted because it acts like a lock file to the original published survey in AGOL. When you have a revised survey ready to republish, after you delete the original and all its contents and folder in AGOL, load the new version locally in Survey123 Connect and login to your AGOL account. Hit the folder icon to the left to open the survey contents in windows explorer. Delete "ITEMINFO file" from that folder and close explorer. Back in Connect, try again to publish your survey.

0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves2

Possibly unrelated, possibly not, but ever since I went through the process described in the original posting - to have to manually replace my data - the "Append data" functionality is now gone...meaning I can't do it again. Meaning this is a bigger problem.

0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves2

Adam Daily

Thanks for the idea of using ArcMap and downloading a local copy for editing. Sadly, after following your procedure and syncing the results back it failed to take the attachments with it. This may be straying outside of the responsibility of the Survey123 for ArcGIS team and, more accurately, be an ArcGIS Online‌ issue. However, I would stress that it's a big deal. If i need to be republishing Survey123 for ArcGIS surveys then I need a reliable method to append the data which was collected using those surveys into a feature service, including the attachments.